From: Ralph on

"Dee Earley" <dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk> wrote in message
> On 10/12/2009 20:26, Abhishek wrote:
> > | if u cn rd ths msg u cn bcm a scrtry n gt gd jb
> >
> > if you can read this message you can become a secretary and get a good
job.

> Thanks, I was trying to figure out "scrtry"..

That one slowed me for a bit too.

For grins I did a quick poll around the office and friends.

25ish and below translated it with only momentary stumble on "scrtry". Those
above always stumbled on "scrtry". Three of those above 45ish asked for help
on "scrtry".

BUT what was most interesting, was three secretaries and a receptionist
translated it without pause! Once again demonstrating the accuracy of Mr.
Butler's pithy replies.

-ralph

From: Tony Spratt on
> For grins I did a quick poll around the office and friends.
>
> 25ish and below translated it with only momentary stumble on "scrtry".
> Those
> above always stumbled on "scrtry". Three of those above 45ish asked for
> help
> on "scrtry".
>
> BUT what was most interesting, was three secretaries and a receptionist
> translated it without pause! Once again demonstrating the accuracy of Mr.
> Butler's pithy replies.
>
> -ralph

You should have asked any Londoner over the age of 35 who usedthe tubes back
when that ad was on every single carriage on every single line - it burned
its way into millions of memories by sheer presence alone.

From: Ralph on

"Tony Spratt" <tony_spratt(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> You should have asked any Londoner over the age of 35 who usedthe tubes
back
> when that ad was on every single carriage on every single line - it burned
> its way into millions of memories by sheer presence alone.

So that's London-English is it?

Ha, foreigners always crack me up. They have different words or spellings
for EVERYTHING!

-ralph

From: Tony Spratt on
"Ralph" <nt_consulting64(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Tony Spratt" <tony_spratt(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> You should have asked any Londoner over the age of 35 who usedthe tubes
> back
>> when that ad was on every single carriage on every single line - it
>> burned
>> its way into millions of memories by sheer presence alone.
>>

> So that's London-English is it?
>
> Ha, foreigners always crack me up. They have different words or spellings
> for EVERYTHING!
>
> -ralph

The language is called English; ergo whatever we say is correct and whatever
you speak is simply an amusing dialect, so there. <g>

From: mayayana on
> The language is called English; ergo whatever we say is correct and
whatever
> you speak is simply an amusing dialect, so there. <g>

Y'got dat right, pal.

I appreciate that the English so lovingly protect
their language, even if they can sometimes go a
bit overboard in the belief that intellect only exists
on their island.

I came across a British book years ago -- wish I
could find it again -- that detailed a number of
"fake" English words of impressive length and
mystery, invented "in the colonies" in order to confer
an air of erudition upon the writer. It was sort of an
Emperor's new literacy.

Apparently, settlers in the
soon-to-be US would just make up fancy-sounding
words because they felt intimidated by the education
and eloquence of visiting Brits. Then frontier settlers
did the same thing, feeling intimidated by Easterners.
A lot of common words were in this category, but
I can't remember any now.

I suppose it's telling that the Brits would document
such things. In a culture where class and presentation
are so important, it's necessary to maintain finely grained
standards. While in the US our fundamental myth is that
of absolute equality -- that people are not only equal
in rights but equal in everything. That myth requires
that intellect be regarded as a quirk, while commonality
is almost patriotic. We invent abominations such as
"lite" or friend-as-a-verb (just about everything as a verb,
come to think of it) with daring, patriotic abandon; and
the dictionary folks dutifully make them official without
protest.

But... he who gots the bucks makes the rules, y'know
what I mean? (Wasn't that Shakespeare who said that?)