From: David Kerber on
I am setting up a new Win7 32-bit machine. We have a couple of in-house
apps that I write in vb6 that we run from the network, after doing a
local install to get all the controls and dll's registered. They are
installed as domain admin, but should not need admin privs to run.

However, when I try logging in as a regular user, one of them insists on
asking for the admin password (and has the UAC shield logo on the
shortcut), while the other does not, and I can't figure out what the
difference is, nor how to correct it.

What should I look at to get the problem one to start without asking for
admin privs? Will creating a manifest file fix it, and if so, what is
the easiest way to do one?

Tks!

From: Dee Earley on
On 10/12/2009 16:43, David Kerber wrote:
> I am setting up a new Win7 32-bit machine. We have a couple of in-house
> apps that I write in vb6 that we run from the network, after doing a
> local install to get all the controls and dll's registered. They are
> installed as domain admin, but should not need admin privs to run.
>
> However, when I try logging in as a regular user, one of them insists on
> asking for the admin password (and has the UAC shield logo on the
> shortcut), while the other does not, and I can't figure out what the
> difference is, nor how to correct it.
>
> What should I look at to get the problem one to start without asking for
> admin privs? Will creating a manifest file fix it, and if so, what is
> the easiest way to do one?

Windows guesses based on various factors whether it is a setup and needs
elevation.
Adding the manifest stops it guessing and just does as you ask.
You probably want AsInvoker.

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems
From: David Kerber on
In article <ebAviubeKHA.6000(a)TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>,
dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk says...

> On 10/12/2009 16:43, David Kerber wrote:
> > I am setting up a new Win7 32-bit machine. We have a couple of in-house
> > apps that I write in vb6 that we run from the network, after doing a
> > local install to get all the controls and dll's registered. They are
> > installed as domain admin, but should not need admin privs to run.
> >
> > However, when I try logging in as a regular user, one of them insists on
> > asking for the admin password (and has the UAC shield logo on the
> > shortcut), while the other does not, and I can't figure out what the
> > difference is, nor how to correct it.
> >
> > What should I look at to get the problem one to start without asking for
> > admin privs? Will creating a manifest file fix it, and if so, what is
> > the easiest way to do one?
>
> Windows guesses based on various factors whether it is a setup and needs
> elevation.

Ah, so the fact that I have the word "setup" in the .exe name may bet
triggering it.

> Adding the manifest stops it guessing and just does as you ask.
> You probably want AsInvoker.

Thanks!

From: Ralph on

"David Kerber" <ns_dkerber(a)ns_warrenrogersassociates.com> wrote in message
> > Windows guesses based on various factors whether it is a setup and needs
> > elevation.
>
> Ah, so the fact that I have the word "setup" in the .exe name may bet
> triggering it.

Yep, that does it. Putting "install" in the name will trigger the
"compatibility" features as well.

From: Abhishek on
| However, when I try logging in as a regular user, one of them insists on
| asking for the admin password (and has the UAC shield logo on the

if u r a regular user it will ask for admin password. and if u r a admin it
will prompt u to elevate the privileges.

| What should I look at to get the problem one to start without asking for
| admin privs? Will creating a manifest file fix it, and if so, what is
| the easiest way to do one?

make ur app compatible with vista/7 then it wont need prompts, also add
manifest.