From: BuckKS on
I have Win 98SE set up and running in VPC 2007 with an XP Pro host computer.
We have an old DOS based typesetting program that must run under a DOS or Win
95/98SE. It cannot be made to run under XP or above. I have the program
running fine in VPC now, but I need to be able to make the 98 OS network with
the network the host is on, so I can print out copy on the network printers.

I cannot get the virtual (Win 98) OS and the rest of my network to see each
other at all... nor can I get the Internet to work on the Virtual (98) OS. I
have the network card drivers operating just fine on both the host and the
VPC. There is just no way to communicate between the virtual and host
networks. I've tried NAT and just using the network card to no avail. Any
ideas out there would be appreciated.
From: Steve Jain on
"BuckKS" wrote:

> I have Win 98SE set up and running in VPC 2007 with an XP Pro host computer.
> We have an old DOS based typesetting program that must run under a DOS or Win
> 95/98SE. It cannot be made to run under XP or above. I have the program
> running fine in VPC now, but I need to be able to make the 98 OS network with
> the network the host is on, so I can print out copy on the network printers.
>
> I cannot get the virtual (Win 98) OS and the rest of my network to see each
> other at all... nor can I get the Internet to work on the Virtual (98) OS. I
> have the network card drivers operating just fine on both the host and the
> VPC. There is just no way to communicate between the virtual and host
> networks. I've tried NAT and just using the network card to no avail. Any
> ideas out there would be appreciated.

is your firewall set to allow the VM access to the network?
What network card drivers did you install in Win98? You shouldn't need to
install any, since the ones needed will be automatically installed, switching
them out will cause problems.

How is your TCP/IP configured in your Win98 VM? It should be set up similar
to how the host is, i.e. host is dhcp, VM should be dhcp.

When you've selected NAT, are you getting an IP address in Win98? This
generally works, unless you've got a 3rd party firewall.