From: MtheK on
Hello!

Has anybody some information about the minimum system requirements for a
small WinCE build running a .NET CF application?

Especially I didn't find any information about the processor speed (let's
say if i want to use an ARM7 for example), and not very precise information
about the minimun RAM and ROM usage.

Thanks!
Martin
From: Paul G. Tobey [eMVP] paultobey _at_ earthlink _dot_ on
There are too many variables to answer that. Even your own question has
"small" and "a .NET CF application". What do either of those mean? A
"small" build might include no UI at all, for example, and might run in a
couple of MB of RAM. Or you might mean a build that 'only' includes Internet
Explorer, Media Player, and half a dozen other Pro version components of
Windows CE. "a .NET CF application" might use SQL CE and take 20MB of RAM,
or might run without a UI and take 5MB.

The only way to answer the question is to try it for your target build and
your target application. I would guess that 32MB of flash and 32MB of RAM on
an ARM processor would have most such situations. Of course, a DEBUG build
of that same OS might require 64MB of flash...

Paul T.

From: Chris Tacke, MVP on
In my experience I wouldn't think that 32MB of RAM would be enough, given a
typical image of about 15MB, especially if it's not using XIP. I like to ee
64 minimum, and in some cases 128MB helps.

-Chris

From: Paul G. Tobey [eMVP] paultobey _at_ earthlink _dot_ on
I guess it depends on whether the OS is running from RAM or flash. More RAM
almost never hurts. I ran with 32MB of RAM and 32MB of flash for quite a
while, in a smaller OS situation (10MB), where the OS was executing directly
from flash.

Paul T