From: MSenne on
First off, it's been covered here before, but if anybody needs help
getting the passthru driver to load on a WM5 Pocket PC, contact me and
we can work it out.

What I'm looking for is help AFTER getting the bloody thing loaded.
The code has barely changed from wince420 to wince500, but even those
changes don't account for the lockups when loading the passthru driver
on a WM5 device.

I'm working with a Sprint 6700 Pocket PC right now.

Problem 1: RNDISFN1 (Remote NDIS) tries to bind to the passthru and it
locks up.
Fix 1: Add RNDISFN to the brand new adapter black list in
ProtocolBindAdapter.

Problem 2: Sometimes (and maybe this is just me) I can't sync with my
PC when my driver is loaded.
Fix 2: Not really sure. Might have something to do with having the WiFi
enabled, but I seem to have moved past it. I'd be more than happy to
discuss the matter with anyone else who sees it.

Problem 3: Disabling WiFi, then reenabling it screws up the whole
device.
Fix 3: None yet.
Info:
Disable WiFi and ProtocolUnbindAdapter gets called on the
Pass/TIACXWLN1 adapter.
Reenable it and ProtocolBindAdapter (for just TTIACXWLN1) chokes on the
call to NdisUnbindProtocolsFromAdapter.

Anyone have similar experiences or info one where else I should go for
help?
Like I said, I'm willing to help others get to where I'm at if they're
interested. After all, misery loves company!

-MSenne

From: knopper on
Hello MSenne,

We have to develop an IM driver for WM 2005 Pocketpc.
We build the driver with pB 5.0 but we can't get the driver to load on
emulator or
device WM 2005 as well as WM2003.

We have changed the registry like this:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\PASSTHRU]
"Group"="NDIS"
"ImagePath"="passthru.dll"
"NoDeviceCreate"=dword:1

and call ActivateDevice but we see no sign of the driver loading.
It is very helpfull, if you give us some suggestions.

thanks in advances !

From: MSenne on
You need to use Visual Studio 2005 to build the driver for Pocket PC
WM5.0. You can't use Platform Builder - it doesn't work with Pocket PC
or Smartphone.

The registry keys mentioned there will load the driver for you - no
need to use ActivateDevice. As I said in another thread, you do need
to sign the driver for WM5.0 PPCs to load it. They changed the
security settings and (long story short) you need to sign drivers if
you want them running at startup.

This forum thread has great info on signing drivers:
http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=122467&SiteID=1
(the BuiltIn registry keys mentioned are needed for your driver if you
want to use a Stream Interface Driver, which is a whole different
topic)

Here's what you need to do:
Create a new Visual Studio 2005 project for Visual C++ that is a "Win32
Smart Device Project" and when given the choice make it a DLL. Keep it
empty and you simply copy in all the Passthru files from the Platform
Builder libraries.
Once you've got it building you need to follow those Authenticode setup
instructions and then you should be able to load it on a device (with
the appropriate registry settings).

Go ahead with that and post back here if you need any specific help
with that process.
Good luck and have fun!
-MSenne

From: knopper on
MSenne, thank you very much for the infos !
Today I get the passthru sample loading on WM 5.0 pocket emulator. I will
try it next tomorrow on WM 5.0 device. Our goal is to modify the IM driver to
receive and send raw packets from all interface, including WAN.

do you mean that you want to disable/enable WiFi adapter (Problem 3), is'n
it ?
If you want can i send you a snippsed code to do it.

best regards,

From: MSenne on
My problem #3 is that when I disable the WiFi it crashes my driver.

Have you loaded it onto a device with a WiFi adapter? When you do
please let me know if you have the same problem that I do when
disabling the WiFi (via the wireless manager or whatever software on
your device controls that).
-MSenne