From: msnews on
I have searched the net for information regarding the controlling of a host
and the display of that activity showing up on the monitor of the host
itself.

Eg. Computer A and B in same room. Computer A is host, B client and both
configured accordingly. Connection successful and I can use the desktop of
computer A. I want to watch movie clips on computer A while I carry on
working on computer B with the rdp connection. How can I see the mouse
moving, the movies playing and general activity on the host, computer A's
monitor? the user login screen is there.

The Host is in the attic and mouse and keyboard are not long enough to reach
and usb mouse keyboard does not work efficiently.

Does anyone know of a solution?

regards
donna

From: Pegasus [MVP] on

"msnews" <notinterestedgoaway(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have searched the net for information regarding the controlling of a
> host and the display of that activity showing up on the monitor of the
> host itself.
>
> Eg. Computer A and B in same room. Computer A is host, B client and both
> configured accordingly. Connection successful and I can use the desktop
> of computer A. I want to watch movie clips on computer A while I carry on
> working on computer B with the rdp connection. How can I see the mouse
> moving, the movies playing and general activity on the host, computer A's
> monitor? the user login screen is there.
>
> The Host is in the attic and mouse and keyboard are not long enough to
> reach and usb mouse keyboard does not work efficiently.
>
> Does anyone know of a solution?
>
> regards
> donna

While the remote desktop connection is active, the monitor on the RDP host
will show you only the login screen. You can achieve your aim only if the
host is a proper Windows Server rather than a WinXP workstation.

From: Pegasus [MVP] on

"msnews" <notinterestedgoaway(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have searched the net for information regarding the controlling of a
> host and the display of that activity showing up on the monitor of the
> host itself.
>
> Eg. Computer A and B in same room. Computer A is host, B client and both
> configured accordingly. Connection successful and I can use the desktop
> of computer A. I want to watch movie clips on computer A while I carry on
> working on computer B with the rdp connection. How can I see the mouse
> moving, the movies playing and general activity on the host, computer A's
> monitor? the user login screen is there.
>
> The Host is in the attic and mouse and keyboard are not long enough to
> reach and usb mouse keyboard does not work efficiently.
>
> Does anyone know of a solution?
>
> regards
> donna

There a further solution: use WinVNC instead of Remote Desktop. It works
very well and it is free.

From: msnews on
Hi Pegaga sus

I downloaded and installed vnc-4_1_3-x86_win32 from
http://grox.net/doc/apps/vnc/download.htm. It worked and I was able to have
full control of the host. However, when playing movie clips, the players
screen was blank. Any reason for this?

regards

From: Paul on
msnews wrote:
> Hi Pegaga sus
>
> I downloaded and installed vnc-4_1_3-x86_win32 from
> http://grox.net/doc/apps/vnc/download.htm. It worked and I was able to have
> full control of the host. However, when playing movie clips, the players
> screen was blank. Any reason for this?
>
> regards

VNC monitors only one resource in the video card, which is the
resource used by the regular desktop.

Video or movie players, may use an overlay plane for rendering.
VNC may not be able to "see" that, thus a square area remains
blank.

Similarly, if you were to start a 3D game, flip it to windowed
mode instead of full screen, the window where the game should
be, would also be a blank square. (I believe you can buy
a program, that will record a 3D game, so this one can be
fixed, if the VNC designers worked at it. Still, a game or
a movie would require a lot of processor, to keep up with
the content changes in any reasonable fashion. Imagine
how much network bandwidth it would take to transport
a poorly compressed movie.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraps (for recording 3D)

With enough work, they might be able to fix that, but it won't
be easy. For movies protected by DRM, for example, the OS may
have features to make it difficult to copy such an area of the
screen. In the past, it might have been purely an "accident"
that a square area wasn't copyable. But now, there can be
an ulterior motive for it not working.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PVP-OPM

Paul

> "Pegasus [MVP]" <news(a)microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "msnews" <notinterestedgoaway(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> I have searched the net for information regarding the controlling of a
>>> host and the display of that activity showing up on the monitor of the
>>> host itself.
>>>
>>> Eg. Computer A and B in same room. Computer A is host, B client and both
>>> configured accordingly. Connection successful and I can use the desktop
>>> of computer A. I want to watch movie clips on computer A while I carry
>>> on working on computer B with the rdp connection. How can I see the mouse
>>> moving, the movies playing and general activity on the host, computer A's
>>> monitor? the user login screen is there.
>>>
>>> The Host is in the attic and mouse and keyboard are not long enough to
>>> reach and usb mouse keyboard does not work efficiently.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know of a solution?
>>>
>>> regards
>>> donna
>> While the remote desktop connection is active, the monitor on the RDP host
>> will show you only the login screen. You can achieve your aim only if the
>> host is a proper Windows Server rather than a WinXP workstation.
>

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Backround for log in page
Next: Making an SP3 Disc??