From: guv on
I have installed a windows 2008 R2 server in our windows 2003 AD. I have
promoted the server as a Domain controller, made it a global catalog and
added the DNS server role. I have other windows 2003 domain controllers
still running.

The problem I have is when i change the primary dns setting on some of our
servers to point to the new windows 2008 server dc as there dns server, the
servers cannot ping other servers such as they cannot resolve any more.

On the windows 2003 domain controllers when I try to connect to the windows
2008 dns server it comes up with message access is denied, but when i go
onto the windows 2008 DC to check the DNS I can see the dns server and all
the zones we have setup.

The windows 2008 DC DNS primary server settings points to itself.

Is there any reason why this w2008 R2 Domain controller would not allow some
clients not to resolve, or why the other windows 2003 DC cannot connect to
it. Is there anything need to done on the windows 2008 server..