From: sarav_rs on

Everyone,

I am using excel macro to extract the data from web query. To automate
this, I have created one vb.net windows application to execute the
macro. And I have created in a schedules task to execute in hourly
basis. This is working fine in windows 2003 with Excel 2003. After
upgrading to Windows 2008 Enterprise SP2 with Excel 2010, I have some
problems.

1) The scheduled task is started and not fired the excel macro when I
choose the option 'Run whether the user is logged on or not'
2) The user has the Administrator privileges
3) The excel macro, VB.Net EXE has the everyone full access
4) The user is added in the local security policies (Log on as batch
job)

But this is working fine, If I change the option as 'Run only the user
is logged on'. Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Sarav

--
sarav_rs
sarav_rs's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/238247.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

From: Pegasus [MVP] on

"sarav_rs" <sarav_rs.4dbm5b(a)DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> Everyone,
>
> I am using excel macro to extract the data from web query. To automate
> this, I have created one vb.net windows application to execute the
> macro. And I have created in a schedules task to execute in hourly
> basis. This is working fine in windows 2003 with Excel 2003. After
> upgrading to Windows 2008 Enterprise SP2 with Excel 2010, I have some
> problems.
>
> 1) The scheduled task is started and not fired the excel macro when I
> choose the option 'Run whether the user is logged on or not'
> 2) The user has the Administrator privileges
> 3) The excel macro, VB.Net EXE has the everyone full access
> 4) The user is added in the local security policies (Log on as batch
> job)
>
> But this is working fine, If I change the option as 'Run only the user
> is logged on'. Please help.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Sarav
>

> --
> sarav_rs

I don't know anything about vb.net applications but from experience I know
that most problems with scheduled tasks are caused by one of the following:
- Failure to specify a full drive and path for *every* file or folder that
is referenced.
- The task actually runs but since its output file path is not specified, it
tries to write data into the System32 folder
- Attempting to access a resource (e.g. a shared drive) under an account
that has insufficient authority
- Incorrect password

It would help if you posted the full command line that you've scheduled.
Note also that macros are fragile. They can and will fail for numerous
reasons because they rely by their very nature on numerous assumptions. If
you require a robust environment then you must use a proper program, e.g. VB
Script.

From: Phillip Windell on
"sarav_rs" <sarav_rs.4dbm5b(a)DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message
> I am using excel macro to extract the data from web query. To automate
> this, I have created one vb.net windows application to execute the
> macro. And I have created in a schedules task to execute in hourly
> basis. This is working fine in windows 2003 with Excel 2003. After
> upgrading to Windows 2008 Enterprise SP2 with Excel 2010, I have some
> problems.
>
> 1) The scheduled task is started and not fired the excel macro when I
> choose the option 'Run whether the user is logged on or not'
> 2) The user has the Administrator privileges
> 3) The excel macro, VB.Net EXE has the everyone full access
> 4) The user is added in the local security policies (Log on as batch
> job)
>
> But this is working fine, If I change the option as 'Run only the user
> is logged on'. Please help.

Excell has separate security settings on Macros. Check the Macro
Security,...it might be set on high or medium when it needs to be on low.
High keeps it from running at all, medium only runs after acknowledging a
prompt (which won't do you any good),...low should allow the macro the run
without a prompt. Probably when you went from Excell 2003 to 2010 it reset
to the default of High (or Medium?). Also when checking this in Excell it
may be a user specific setting (can't remember for sure) so be sure to log
in and go into Excell with the same acount that the Task runs under.

This was just a guess of course,...so you should also follow Pegasus's post
as well.

--
Phillip Windell

From: sarav_rs on

Hi Pegasus & Phillip Windell,

Thanks a lot for your help. I found the correct solution based on the
following threads.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/innovateonoffice/thread/b81a3c4e-62db-488b-af06-44421818ef91
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/office2007deploymentcompatibility/thread/334c9f30-4e27-4904-9e71-abfc65975e23?prof=required

We need to create a folder Desktop in the following location.
� C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\Desktop
� C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\Desktop

Windows 2008 missed this folder and its available in windows 2003. So
the problem is not in the Office 2003 or Office 2010. Though the
solution is simple and it took more than 10 days of frustration to find
it out.

Thanks again.

Sarav