From: cmd29 on
im a musician and i have a gateway laptop that is 64bit and came with
vista,and i use this pc mainly for music/audio recording,and i ended up
downgrading to xp 64 bit,everything works fine,except the audio,i keep
getting a choppy sound buffer problems,and alot of times i wont even hear any
sound,but i'll see all the volume levels moving,i agree i think theres alot
of bugs and glitches in 64 bit

From: Zootal on
=?Utf-8?B?RGlzZ3VzdGVk?= <Disgusted(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> So I put together this rocking computer with a 64-bit AMD Athlon, etc.
> etc, and I figured I should take advantage of the 64-bit architecture
> (like is being pushed on the Microsoft Web Site) but I have to say
> Windows XP 64-bit doesn't allow me to use many of my devices.
>
> Why oh why did Microsoft push this operating system on their web site?
> The beta stuff they are making doesn't even work with xp 64-bit. I
> feel like a chump and am being punished for trusting microsoft's
> advertising!

What devices can you not use? I, like many here, have used XP64 for a long
time without any problems. The only hardware that I've found that doesn't
work is the one-off stuff - cheap webcams, old TV tuners, cheap bluetooth
dongles, odd stuff like that.
From: Zootal on
It could be that the laptop hardware isn't efficient enough for what you
are doing. Laptop hardware isn't made to be screaming machines, it is made
to fit in a tiny box and use as little power as possible. As a result, you
get anemic performance.

You might try different software. It's also possible your software isn't
efficient enough for what you are doing. You could always put XP32 bit on
it and see how it works, but I'd be surprised if that fixed anything.

From: Wiley Post on
The point about laptops reflects a lack of understanding of hardware.
Better quality dual-core laptops have CPUs and memory that is the same speed
as better quality dual-core desktops. Desktops have better graphics and
much more flexibility for installing expansion equipment of your choice but
the idea that a good laptop is too "anemic" to run audio software is
ludicrous. Laptops can use power schemes that cut performance but when
running on AC just set your scheme for maximum performance. A musician
would however be much better served by using a high quality soundcard that
can be installed in a desktop as opposed to using the sound system native to
a laptop motherboard or whatever sound card might be available in PCMCIA
format.

As for the general compatibility of XP-64 I have found the greatest problem
to be in finding drivers for existing graphics cards.

Also note that since commercial apps running under XP-64 are likely to need
WOW to actually run in 32 bit mode you shouldn't expect any performance
improvement relative to XP-32. That should change in the future when
commercial 64 bit apps become more available.

WP

From: Zootal on
My comments about laptops were based on a pretty good understanding of
hardware and many years of experience. Even among desktops you will find
a wide range of performance caused by, among other things, the
motherboard itself. There is a reason that some motherboards cost $45 and
others cost $245. Hint - there is a *lot* more to performance than cpu
and memory speed. When it comes to laptops, you have the same issues.
Some are much more efficient then others. Two laptops with the same
memory and same cpu will not necessarily perform the same. Something as
simple as different motherboards makes a big difference, and when it
comes to laptops you are much more likely to find anemic motherboards.

Even as there is a reason why some motherboards cost $45 and others cost
$245, there is a reason some laptops cost $400 and others cost $4,000.
You get what you pay for.