From: magisterd on

Need Help!

I'm using Windows 7 64x. I changed my External Hard Drive security
properties to deny access to the group "users". I have an administrator
account and I can't access now the external hard drive. Also the
"security tab" in the hard drive properties have disappeared. I am only
member of "administrators".

How do I revert this or get access to the security tab for that Hard
Drive?

--
magisterd
magisterd's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/165977.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

From: Bruce Chambers on
magisterd wrote:
> Need Help!
>
> I'm using Windows 7 64x. I changed my External Hard Drive security
> properties to deny access to the group "users". I have an administrator
> account and I can't access now the external hard drive. Also the
> "security tab" in the hard drive properties have disappeared. I am only
> member of "administrators".
>
> How do I revert this or get access to the security tab for that Hard
> Drive?

The group "Users" includes every account, including the Administrator,
that logs into the computer. By using the "Deny" permission, you've
effectively shut everyone out of that drive. The only option I know of,
at this point, is to use a Linux-based LiveCD or utility to get around
the NTFS permissions to recover the data; then you can format the drive
and start over.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
From: David B. on
What groups remained once you deleted the users group?

From: VanguardLH on
magisterd wrote:

> Need Help!
>
> I'm using Windows 7 64x. ...

Then it isn't a Windows XP issue, is it, which is the topic of THIS
newsgroup.

The Microsoft community for Windows 7 is found at:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/w7itpro

> http://forums.techarena.in

A leech site pretending to have forums by running a webnews-for-dummies
interface that submits improperly formatted posts through a gateway to
Usenet (aka newsgroups).
From: Peter Foldes on
Like Bruce posted. Use (a Linux Distro) Knoppix or Ubuntu and boot the drive and
then get all your needed Data off the drive and then do a clean reformat

--
Peter