From: JD on
On 27/03/2010 1:13 AM, John wrote:
> I use Powerdesk 7 for my file manager and start the software a number of
> times a day. Each time it runs I have to give it permission (UAC). I've set
> it to run in compatibility mode and run as administrator and still it
> requires the click OK button. This isn't an installation just general use.

Everyone uses there computer differently I guess, I took a quick look at
that "powerdesk 7" program, from there website it says:

"Word documents. Spreadsheets. Pictures. Music. PDF files.
Presentations. The files you need to access on any given day can add up
fast, and can be located almost anywhere"
* Encrypt files using PowerDesk encryption or DES encryption
* File Shredder completely removes all traces of a file
* Password protect your zip files
# Thumbnail view to find the file you need without opening them all
# Convert over 30 types of graphic images from one format to another
# Play MP3's & media files in file manager
# Edit MP3 tags & playlists
# Sort songs by artist, title, album, etc

now I haven't used this program so I cant comment to much on it, was
looking thru the features list and everything it says you can do I can
think of a way to do it without using there software, for example:

all the encryption and zip capability's can be done with a right click
using 7zip (free, www.7-zip.com)

the thumnail view's and search are built into win7 and its quite clever
also, for example while looking for a spreadsheet called pay, it will
also display ones that include salaries

ok you got me on this one convert to 30 types of image, windows simple
paint program can covert to the most common ones like BMP, jpeg, gif,
tif, if thats not good enough theres the GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation
Program, also free, gimp.org) and image resizer powertoy is also free
and usefull.

all the music playing and finding/sorting can be done with the media
center or media player, and playlists can be made by highlighting mp3's
and right clicking > create playlist, editing mp3 tags can be edited by
right clicking them and going to property's > details.

dont take anything I've said the wrong way, just beacuse I use my
computer this way dose not mean you have to, if you like your powerdesk
software there's no reason to stop using it, I'd just turn off the UAC
in that case, altho it does seem to me that its badly designed if it
keeps triping the UAC, mind you it says windows vista compatible no
mention of win7 so maybe its due for an update soon.

JD
From: Jeff Strickland on
"John" <invalid(a)invalid.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 17:11:02 +0000, JD wrote:
>
>> On 26/03/2010 1:29 AM, John wrote:
>>> I've been using Windows 7 for around four weeks on a new build computer
>>> (previously used Windows XP) and finding that clicking on UAC every few
>>> minutes is getting a little much. I also use Outpost Firewall Pro that
>>> also
>>> asks for permission until the rule has been made when starting software.
>>>
>>> Searching for disabling UAC brings up many sites all warning against
>>> turning UAC off for security reasons but I've just about had it with
>>> UAC.
>>> Wouldn't be too bad if it worked like Outpost Pro where rules are made
>>> so
>>> you don't keep getting asked the same question everytime you open a
>>> programme. So, how do you feel about UAC? Have you turned it off and
>>> lived
>>> without dire things happening? Or do you keep persevering with the OK
>>> click
>>> box?
>>
>> I've been using Win7 since the beta and I can honestly say I have hardly
>> ever seen the UAC popup's, the only time you generally see them is your
>> installing something or sometimes using an application that requires
>> higher than normal privileges such as Nmap (for sending raw packets) but
>> I guess everyone uses there computer differently.
>
> I use Powerdesk 7 for my file manager and start the software a number of
> times a day. Each time it runs I have to give it permission (UAC). I've
> set
> it to run in compatibility mode and run as administrator and still it
> requires the click OK button. This isn't an installation just general use.

Why don't you just leave it running?

It's not one of those things that hogs memory and slows performance because
it processes anything. It sits there static, so just leave it on and switch
to it when you want to use it.

Win7 tries to protect itself from malicious users by constantly asking ARE
YOU SURE (remember the earyl days of Windows?) When you open a program that
lets you move stuff around, then Win7 detects this as an opportunity for
malice. Open the program, accept the warning, and leave the program running
so you don't have to keep accepting the warning.

Having said that, it seems to me that if you are the only user, then you
ought to be able to find a setting in the Folder Options>Advanced tab where
you can select or deselect a checkbox that will stop warning you that the
sky is falling. I don't know what the checkbox should say, but there should
be one.

From: John on
On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 09:32:41 -0700, Jeff Strickland wrote:

> "John" <invalid(a)invalid.com> wrote in message

>>> I've been using Win7 since the beta and I can honestly say I have hardly
>>> ever seen the UAC popup's, the only time you generally see them is your
>>> installing something or sometimes using an application that requires
>>> higher than normal privileges such as Nmap (for sending raw packets) but
>>> I guess everyone uses there computer differently.
>>
>> I use Powerdesk 7 for my file manager and start the software a number of
>> times a day. Each time it runs I have to give it permission (UAC). I've
>> set
>> it to run in compatibility mode and run as administrator and still it
>> requires the click OK button. This isn't an installation just general use.
>>

> Why don't you just leave it running?
>
> It's not one of those things that hogs memory and slows performance because
> it processes anything. It sits there static, so just leave it on and switch
> to it when you want to use it.
>
> Win7 tries to protect itself from malicious users by constantly asking ARE
> YOU SURE (remember the earyl days of Windows?) When you open a program that
> lets you move stuff around, then Win7 detects this as an opportunity for
> malice. Open the program, accept the warning, and leave the program running
> so you don't have to keep accepting the warning.
>
> Having said that, it seems to me that if you are the only user, then you
> ought to be able to find a setting in the Folder Options>Advanced tab where
> you can select or deselect a checkbox that will stop warning you that the
> sky is falling. I don't know what the checkbox should say, but there should
> be one.

All fixed - I've turned the bloody thing off:-)
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: mp3 to car stereo
Next: mp3 redux