From: John on
I've been using Windows 7 for around four weeks on a new build computer
(previously used Windows XP) and finding that clicking on UAC every few
minutes is getting a little much. I also use Outpost Firewall Pro that also
asks for permission until the rule has been made when starting software.

Searching for disabling UAC brings up many sites all warning against
turning UAC off for security reasons but I've just about had it with UAC.
Wouldn't be too bad if it worked like Outpost Pro where rules are made so
you don't keep getting asked the same question everytime you open a
programme. So, how do you feel about UAC? Have you turned it off and lived
without dire things happening? Or do you keep persevering with the OK click
box?
From: Robert Baer on
John wrote:
> I've been using Windows 7 for around four weeks on a new build computer
> (previously used Windows XP) and finding that clicking on UAC every few
> minutes is getting a little much. I also use Outpost Firewall Pro that also
> asks for permission until the rule has been made when starting software.
>
> Searching for disabling UAC brings up many sites all warning against
> turning UAC off for security reasons but I've just about had it with UAC.
> Wouldn't be too bad if it worked like Outpost Pro where rules are made so
> you don't keep getting asked the same question everytime you open a
> programme. So, how do you feel about UAC? Have you turned it off and lived
> without dire things happening? Or do you keep persevering with the OK click
> box?
Thank you for a VERY GOOD reason to _not_ "upgrade" to Win7 (will
stick with Win2K and Win98SE and DOS).
From: baron on
John Inscribed thus:

> I've been using Windows 7 for around four weeks on a new build
> computer (previously used Windows XP) and finding that clicking on UAC
> every few minutes is getting a little much. I also use Outpost
> Firewall Pro that also asks for permission until the rule has been
> made when starting software.
>
> Searching for disabling UAC brings up many sites all warning against
> turning UAC off for security reasons but I've just about had it with
> UAC. Wouldn't be too bad if it worked like Outpost Pro where rules are
> made so you don't keep getting asked the same question everytime you
> open a programme. So, how do you feel about UAC? Have you turned it
> off and lived without dire things happening? Or do you keep
> persevering with the OK click box?

UAC should be configurable. If you are the only user and you can't
adjust the settings to suit your working practices, then I would turn
it off. Note that you may need administrator privileges to make any
changes.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
From: JD on
On 26/03/2010 1:29 AM, John wrote:
> I've been using Windows 7 for around four weeks on a new build computer
> (previously used Windows XP) and finding that clicking on UAC every few
> minutes is getting a little much. I also use Outpost Firewall Pro that also
> asks for permission until the rule has been made when starting software.
>
> Searching for disabling UAC brings up many sites all warning against
> turning UAC off for security reasons but I've just about had it with UAC.
> Wouldn't be too bad if it worked like Outpost Pro where rules are made so
> you don't keep getting asked the same question everytime you open a
> programme. So, how do you feel about UAC? Have you turned it off and lived
> without dire things happening? Or do you keep persevering with the OK click
> box?

I've been using Win7 since the beta and I can honestly say I have hardly
ever seen the UAC popup's, the only time you generally see them is your
installing something or sometimes using an application that requires
higher than normal privileges such as Nmap (for sending raw packets) but
I guess everyone uses there computer differently.

Part of the problem you are having may be that you are using a 3rd party
firewall, this will require elevated privileges no doubt so UAC will
step in, the Win7 firewall is actually pretty good that coupled with the
fact that nearly everyone is using a router of some kind adds even more
protection, even if the router dose not have a firewall the NAT routing
acts as one.

if it is bothering you you can simply turn it down or off (just type UAC
in the search bar)

BTW the win7 firewall has outbound connection rules as well as inbound
(win7 Firewall > Advanced settings).

JD
From: John on
On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 17:11:02 +0000, JD wrote:

> On 26/03/2010 1:29 AM, John wrote:
>> I've been using Windows 7 for around four weeks on a new build computer
>> (previously used Windows XP) and finding that clicking on UAC every few
>> minutes is getting a little much. I also use Outpost Firewall Pro that also
>> asks for permission until the rule has been made when starting software.
>>
>> Searching for disabling UAC brings up many sites all warning against
>> turning UAC off for security reasons but I've just about had it with UAC.
>> Wouldn't be too bad if it worked like Outpost Pro where rules are made so
>> you don't keep getting asked the same question everytime you open a
>> programme. So, how do you feel about UAC? Have you turned it off and lived
>> without dire things happening? Or do you keep persevering with the OK click
>> box?
>
> I've been using Win7 since the beta and I can honestly say I have hardly
> ever seen the UAC popup's, the only time you generally see them is your
> installing something or sometimes using an application that requires
> higher than normal privileges such as Nmap (for sending raw packets) but
> I guess everyone uses there computer differently.

I use Powerdesk 7 for my file manager and start the software a number of
times a day. Each time it runs I have to give it permission (UAC). I've set
it to run in compatibility mode and run as administrator and still it
requires the click OK button. This isn't an installation just general use.

> Part of the problem you are having may be that you are using a 3rd party
> firewall, this will require elevated privileges no doubt so UAC will
> step in, the Win7 firewall is actually pretty good that coupled with the
> fact that nearly everyone is using a router of some kind adds even more
> protection, even if the router dose not have a firewall the NAT routing
> acts as one.
> if it is bothering you you can simply turn it down or off (just type UAC
> in the search bar)
>
> BTW the win7 firewall has outbound connection rules as well as inbound
> (win7 Firewall > Advanced settings).
>
> JD
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2