From: Paul Richards on
Am running W7 Pro 64 bit.

If I want to run Virtual PC 2007 (to host other OS) do I need to
install XP mode first? MSoft website implies that XP Mode must be
installed before Virtual PC.

I don't need XP mode but would like Virtual PC. Can anyone clarify?

And yes, I know there are other VMs out there.

--
Paul
Melbourne, Australia
From: Charlie Russel - MVP on
It appears that the downloads are currently linked. So you'll get to install
both. But if you don't have a need for an XP VM, just don't use that part of
it.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

From: Dominic Payer on
You can use Windows Virtual PC without installing XP Mode.

Windows Virtual PC is so limited in features that I would use VirtualBox
in preference.

From: Zootal on
Dominic Payer <dcp(a)dcp.fsv.co.uk> wrote in news:ulxAqR$yKHA.244
@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl:

Also note that you can't use VirtualPC 2007 - it will install, but it will
not run. You have to use Windows Virtual PC, which appears to be a limited
low budget version of VirtualPC 2007. I'm with Dominic - don't waste your
time with Virtual PC, use VirtualBox instead. I've used it for years, and
it is very stable and very usable.

From: Paul Richards on
Zootal wrote:

> Dominic Payer <dcp(a)dcp.fsv.co.uk> wrote in news:ulxAqR$yKHA.244
> @TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl:
>
> Also note that you can't use VirtualPC 2007 - it will install, but it
> will not run. You have to use Windows Virtual PC, which appears to be
> a limited low budget version of VirtualPC 2007. I'm with Dominic -
> don't waste your time with Virtual PC, use VirtualBox instead. I've
> used it for years, and it is very stable and very usable.
>

> > You can use Windows Virtual PC without installing XP Mode.
> >
> > Windows Virtual PC is so limited in features that I would use
> > VirtualBox in preference.
> >

> > On 24/03/2010 23:47, Paul Richards wrote:
> >> Am running W7 Pro 64 bit.
> > >
> >> If I want to run Virtual PC 2007 (to host other OS) do I need to
> >> install XP mode first? MSoft website implies that XP Mode must be
> >> installed before Virtual PC.
> > >
> >> I don't need XP mode but would like Virtual PC. Can anyone clarify?
> > >
> >> And yes, I know there are other VMs out there.

Dominic, Zootal: I've been looking at Virtual Box and it seems a very
good option which I'll pursue.

Thanks

--
Paul