From: Rob Nicholson on
> but from what I can tell, Intel don't have a Windows 7 or maybe even
> Windows Vista driver for the 915G graphics card.

We've recently installed W7 on an older Dimension (8100 I think) which also
has a 915G graphics card. On the base installation, the video driver is
flagged as unknown. But... when one runs updates, it installs a 915G
graphics driver. So has this 915G issue been resolved and sanity has ruled
for once?

Cheers, Rob.

From: Mike S. on

In article <p_KdncaTfpohu_3WnZ2dnUVZ8radnZ2d(a)posted.griffininternet>,
Rob Nicholson <rob.nicholson(a)nospam.com> wrote:
>> but from what I can tell, Intel don't have a Windows 7 or maybe even
>> Windows Vista driver for the 915G graphics card.
>
>We've recently installed W7 on an older Dimension (8100 I think) which also
>has a 915G graphics card. On the base installation, the video driver is
>flagged as unknown. But... when one runs updates, it installs a 915G
>graphics driver. So has this 915G issue been resolved and sanity has ruled
>for once?

AFAIK it installs a recertified XP-mode driver. You still can't do Aero
Glass or advanced video effects, and if you check the Intel support page
they still say that Windows 7 is not supported.

From: BillW50 on
In news:hjpfbl$mut$1(a)reader1.panix.com,
Mike S. typed on Wed, 27 Jan 2010 13:33:42 +0000 (UTC):
> In article <p_KdncaTfpohu_3WnZ2dnUVZ8radnZ2d(a)posted.griffininternet>,
> Rob Nicholson <rob.nicholson(a)nospam.com> wrote:
>>> but from what I can tell, Intel don't have a Windows 7 or maybe even
>>> Windows Vista driver for the 915G graphics card.
>>
>> We've recently installed W7 on an older Dimension (8100 I think)
>> which also has a 915G graphics card. On the base installation, the
>> video driver is flagged as unknown. But... when one runs updates, it
>> installs a 915G graphics driver. So has this 915G issue been
>> resolved and sanity has ruled for once?
>
> AFAIK it installs a recertified XP-mode driver. You still can't do
> Aero Glass or advanced video effects, and if you check the Intel
> support page they still say that Windows 7 is not supported.

I have seven Intel 915 machines and for Windows 7, they do use the
Windows XP driver and no aero. I also have an Intel 945 machine (this
one actually) that supports Windows 7 and aero. And I don't see the loss
of aero to be a big deal to me anyway.

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Windows XP SP3