From: John Braner on
Are you guys using Home Premium or Professional? The only reason I'd go
to Professional is for the "XP Compatibility" thing - in case some of my
apps don't work. It costs a hell of a lot morw though :-\

--
===========
John Braner

jbraner(a)NOblueyonderSPAM.co.uk
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
From: kitekrazy on
John Braner wrote:
> Are you guys using Home Premium or Professional? The only reason I'd go
> to Professional is for the "XP Compatibility" thing - in case some of my
> apps don't work. It costs a hell of a lot morw though :-\

Create another partition to install 7. If you need to go back to XP just
boot back into it.
From: John Braner on
Rick Paul wrote:
> I'm using Professional for the very same reason you suggested. However, it
> is too early to know if I actually need the "XP compatibility thing" since I
> think that only refers to the component you have to download manually and
> install, not built-in backwards compatibility stuff. (I'm not positive
> about that, though. If it refers to some built-in compatibility stuff, then
> I may well already be using that part of it. I'm going to hold off on the
> "install extra" part as long as I can.)
>
> I only paid $100 for the professional version thanks to the half price
> pre-order thing they had back in late June.
>
> Rick

Yeah - it's some downloadable thing - I don't really know how it works. I'm waiting for you guys to
find out ;-)

--
===========

From: John Braner on
kitekrazy wrote:
> John Braner wrote:
>> Are you guys using Home Premium or Professional? The only reason I'd
>> go to Professional is for the "XP Compatibility" thing - in case some
>> of my apps don't work. It costs a hell of a lot morw though :-\
>>

> Create another partition to install 7. If you need to go back to XP just
> boot back into it.

That's what I plan on doing - which means that home premium should be fine. Is that what you're using?

--
===========

From: kitekrazy on
John Braner wrote:
> kitekrazy wrote:
>> John Braner wrote:
>>> Are you guys using Home Premium or Professional? The only reason I'd
>>> go to Professional is for the "XP Compatibility" thing - in case some
>>> of my apps don't work. It costs a hell of a lot morw though :-\
>>>

>> Create another partition to install 7. If you need to go back to XP
>> just boot back into it.
>

> That's what I plan on doing - which means that home premium should be
> fine. Is that what you're using?

Yep. I haven't downloaded my Pro version yet. I guess XP Mode might be
useful for some older games. I guess I could run Gigastudio 2.5,3 or 4.

Unfortunately GS4 continues to be a paperweight since it will install
on W7x64 but you need a card with GSIF 2.1 drivers and only the RME HDSP
9652 and some of the Tascam FW devices have those drivers. Those are
$$$. It will run in Rewire mode but there is no Rewire 64 bit.