From: Stephen Burnett on
I have had that problem with an old Smartphone. That's why I'm being a bit
more cautious. The Smartphone had extra files obviously drivers etc, and I
installed a ROM from another operator because it was more up-to-date, even
though it was the same model underlying it died.

This device doesn't seem to have any secondary drivers but I'm not willing
to try anything until I know a bit more about it.

From: Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev] on
Again, don't think you will have any success changing the rom.

However, you might try installing and running some third party apps such
as audio players or utilities and see how far you can get.

>> I looked yesterday and there are virtually no files on the device. <<

How did you "look?" is File Explorer installed, Activesync works?,
looked at the SD card?

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]