From: Stephen Burnett on
Can anyone tell me how much difference there is in the various ROM images
for PDA devices? The reason I ask is this:

I have a GPS system running on Windows CE 4.2 on a PDA. Because the system
came pre-installed with the GPS software, you can't use any of the Windows
CE functions, you are literally limited to the GPS application. I was
hoping to find out some information about the ROM images, maybe find one
that is compatible, and use the device as a PocketPC.

Thanks in advance.

From: !Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev] on
There's a great deal of difference as wince os's are hardware specific
and not interchangable between different devices... not even between
different models from the same oem.

First, would post the exact make/model of the device you have to see if
anyone else has additional information, then you might see if there are
options to access the os using other tools... this has come up before,
so would caution you to not expect a high chance of success.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
From: Brad Leyden on
99% of the time you will end up with a pocket sized paper weight. because of
the way the customizations are done it's even difficult to change language,
changing device is a bit too touchy for most.

--
Brad Leyden
6? 43.5816' S 146? 59.3097' E WGS84

From: Brad Leyden on

From: Stephen Burnett on
I can't find any information on the device to be honest. I know that you
can end up trashing the device by doing a re-flash which is why I wanted to
know how much difference there is before i try it. I had that problem with
an old Windows Smartphone when an update was released.

The device is a Goodmans GNAV10 and the system information screen shows:-
Windows Version: WinCE 4.20(0)
Processor: ARM Version 4
Platform: ARWEN2.60_ECO_GPSH117
OEM: Centrality Communications Inc

I looked yesterday and there are virtually no files on the device. Just
some sound files, the application files for GPS and some image files. The
files for ActiveSync remote access are there but that's just about it. I
have a Windows Mobile based smartphone and I know from that, there are a lot
of other application files in the OS. It's as if the OS has been stripped
completely on this device which is fair enough but I'm not happy with the
GPS software and would like to use a different app. There are, as of yet,
no updates for this device.

Info on the GNAV10:
http://www.goodmans.co.uk/In_Car_Vision/GNAV10.htm