From: Vladislav on
Greetings,

I would like to upgrade Windows CE 4.20 to Windows CE 5.0 on my iPAQ
h1940.
Any suggestion on a best practice to do it?
Any successful attempt from someone?

Thanks,
VTD

From: "Werner "Menneisyys" Ruotsalainen [MVP - Windows - Mobile Devices]" on
Sorry, you can't upgrade the WM2003 on your iPAQ to anything newer; not even
WM2003SE.

Werner "Menneisyys" Ruotsalainen - Microsoft MVP - Windows - Mobile Devices
Please see the Pocket PC Mag Expert Blog (including mine) at
http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/ - you will definitely like it.

From: Vladislav on
Please, can you tell me why? Is it a legal problem? Or is it a
technical problem?
I don't know many things about Pocket PCs, but I think that there isn't
anything impossible in computer science...

Werner "Menneisyys" Ruotsalainen [MVP - Windows - Mobile Devices]

From: r_z_aret on
On 31 Oct 2006 12:51:13 -0800, "Vladislav"
<vladislav.tepes.al.dracului(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>Please, can you tell me why? Is it a legal problem? Or is it a
>technical problem?
>I don't know many things about Pocket PCs, but I think that there isn't
>anything impossible in computer science...

For Windows CE, and platforms like Pocket PC based on it, upgrades are
entirely the responsibility of the OEMs (original equipment
manufacturer). For your iPAQ, that means HP. HP has chosen not to
provide upgrades, so none are available.

This is a combination of technical, legal, and economic issues. Partly
because of choices Microsoft made and partly because the hardware
_does_ vary, users really can't install upgrades on their own. I
assume HP's decision was economic.

>Werner "Menneisyys" Ruotsalainen [MVP - Windows - Mobile Devices]
>wrote:
>> Sorry, you can't upgrade the WM2003 on your iPAQ to anything newer; not even
>> WM2003SE.
>>
>> --
>>

>> --
>> Werner "Menneisyys" Ruotsalainen - Microsoft MVP - Windows - Mobile Devices
>> Please see the Pocket PC Mag Expert Blog (including mine) at
>> http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/ - you will definitely like it.
>>

>> "Vladislav" <vladislav.tepes.al.dracului(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Greetings,
>> >
>> > I would like to upgrade Windows CE 4.20 to Windows CE 5.0 on my iPAQ
>> > h1940.
>> > Any suggestion on a best practice to do it?
>> > Any successful attempt from someone?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > VTD

Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
PenFact, Inc.
20 Park Plaza, Suite 478
Boston, MA 02116
www.penfact.com
From: Clinton Fitch, MVP-Mobile Devices on
Hello,

Take a look at the Windows Mobile Team blog entry on the subject here:
http://blogs.msdn.com/windowsmobile/archive/2005/10/06/477999.aspx

This may provide some reasons as to why.

The bottom line is it is up to the OEMs to offer an upgrade and
doesn't really have much to do with Microsoft.

Regards,

Clinton Fitch, MVP-Mobile Devices
Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!
http://www.clintonfitch.com