From: A. Y on
Why can't you use an existing upgrade, let's say for the 2700 series, and
use it to upgrade 5000 series? It is a software upgrade right? regardless of
hardware.

From: Todd Allcock on
At 03 Nov 2006 06:49:06 +0000 A. Y wrote:

> Why can't you use an existing upgrade, let's say for the 2700 series,
and
> use it to upgrade 5000 series? It is a software upgrade right?
regardless of
> hardware.

Keep in mind PPCs are "embedded devices" with limited resources. Unlike
a desktop OS such as WinXP which includes basic drivers for "standard"
hardware types like motherboards, chipsets, display types, drives, etc.
and comes packed on a pile of CDs, a Windows Mobile upgrade is a ROM
image specific to a particular device, containing only the drives and
dlls for the hardware in that particular unit- the bluetooth chip, Wi-Fi
chip, IR module, USB, display, buttons, touchscreen digitizer, CF and SD
slots, etc. may all be different than every other PPC- even other PPCs of
the same brand.

Unless the 5000 series was hardware identical to the 2700, it's extremely
unlikely that the upgrade would work anymore than your PC's floppy drive
would function with a CD-ROM's driver.

This is why each manufacturer has to "fine tune" the core OS for each
model, and the decision to ofer upgrades depends on a number of factors
such as "will enough model xxxx owners buy this upgrade to justify
wasting our time and energy creating it."

Personally, I believe the decision is usually based on whether new
hardware is being produced, and how similar that hardware is to prior
models. For example, when PPC 2002 was being replaced with PPC 2003,
Dell was selling a PPC called the Axim X5. They continued selling the X5
after PPC 2003 was released without changing models- the new X5s were
sold w/2003 installed. In that case, there was no reason not to sell an
upgrade for older PPC 2002-based X5s. The "work" of creating the upgrade
was already done to support the new 2003 version of the same hardware-
sales of upgrades were additional profit with little expense (the cost of
the CD, new manual and MS' license fees.) since the development costs of
the upgrade were already "spent" on the continued viability of the
existing model.

OTOH, if HP, for example, redesigns their entire PPC line near the end-of-
life of an OS, and the new devices bear little in common with the old
(different chipsets or displays, for example) the same effort Dell spent
customizing a new OS for an existing model in my example above would
result in far less of a "payoff" for HP, since the only "use" for the
upgrade would be the relatively small number people wishing to upgrade
that specific older model. No new equipment sales would help defray the
cost of the upgrade development since the new models needed a completely
different customization of the OS.