From: Wadeer on
I have a lot of music which I store in a flder named "My Music". Everytime I
copy new music into a new sub folder I have to change the column headings
from size, type, and date to Artist, Album, and Track Number. Is there a way
that I can change this so that all future sub folders will have the proper
Column headings?
From: ybS2okj on
Have you tried "Apply to All Folders" in Windows Explorer?

To do this, launch Windows Explorer, Set exactly how you want every thing to
be. Now go TOOLS, FOLDER OPTIONS, View. You will see the button labelled
"Apply to all folders".

hth

From: Wadeer on
Yes I have but that causes all the folders on the hard drive to diplay the
column headers. I just want the one folder and all new sub folders inside
this folder to be displayed this certain way.

From: glee on
"Wadeer" <Wadeer(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a lot of music which I store in a flder named "My Music".
>Everytime I
> copy new music into a new sub folder I have to change the column
> headings
> from size, type, and date to Artist, Album, and Track Number. Is there
> a way
> that I can change this so that all future sub folders will have the
> proper
> Column headings?

For most folders, you could fix this by customizing the folder:
Right-click the folder in Windows Explorer, click properties on the menu
that appears, then click the Customize tab.
In the top section ,use the "Use this folder type as a template"
drop-down list to select the "Music" entry that best describes what you
want.
Put a check in the box below that, for "Also apply this template to all
subfolders", then click Apply/OK.

The problem you are likely having is that you are trying to do this to
the My Music folder. Most System folders and the collection of "My"
folders (My Documents, My Pictures, My Music) do not have the Customize
tab on their properties sheet.

There are a couple of ways around this. One is to stop using the My
Music folder in My Documents, and make your own folder called Music, in
My Documents or somewhere else. Then you can customize it as described
above.

Another option (which I have not tried) is to make a folder the way you
want it, and set the Customize options for it as described above. Then
copy the desktop.ini file (which is hidden) from the customized folder
to the folder you want to customize. You will have to adjust the Folder
Options> View to show all hidden files and folders.

This is how David Candy described it in a post about 7 years ago:
"For folders where there is no tab, moving the desktop.ini into the
folder from a customised one will transfer the settings. The folder
needs to be Read Only but on folders where the dialog doesn't appear
some don't require read only to be set or it has system set (which has
the same effect of read only)."

I wonder if this works correctly on "special" "My" folders such as My
Music, as I have not experimented with it.

See if that helps.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009
A+

From: Donahoo on
glee wrote:

> The problem you are likely having is that you are trying to do this to
> the My Music folder. Most System folders and the collection of "My"
> folders (My Documents, My Pictures, My Music) do not have the Customize
> tab on their properties sheet.

In which version of Windows can you not customize the My Music folder? I
have never had a problem doing this. I always add another sort option to
mine, in cases when I want to quickly get to the last new folder added.

As far as the OP having to set options, he just needs to identify the
folder contents as audio files and that is on the edit menu.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Computer won't boot
Next: yahoo's email window