From: Sanford Aranoff on
Win XP Prof, SP3

Windows Firewall, General tab.

ON is checked. Others are not.

Exceptions checked:
File and Printer
Skype
Skype Extras Manager
UPnP Framework

I want nothing connected to my computer except my wife's
portable so that she can print. How can I have an exception
for Printer but not for File? I do not want someone to be
able to break into my computer and get at my files.

Do I need the Skype exceptions checked?

What is UPnP all about? The only things we have are flash
drives. They should not be shared.

I have a scanner attached to a USB port. Can this be run as
a shared drive? What we do now is take the cable from one
computer and plug it into another computer. This works.

Thanks.
From: Jack [MVP-Networking] on
Hi
USB Scanners are Not considered Network devices and thus can not be shared.
However if you buy an AlO Network ready printer/scanner they provide
software that allows sharing of the printer and scanning through the Network
from all networked computers, and you do not need to configure any sharing
on the computer themselves.
http://www.ezlan.net/prtserver.html
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).