From: Vince on
Hello:

I maintain several machines and this is the first time on my machine I have
ever had a problem with windows update on XP.

Windows installer 3.1 update just will not come in. I tried using automatic
updates but the icon just goes away after a time but won't download.

I tried going to the windows update site and doing the download. It tells me
I need it but again the window pops up stating preparing for download but it
just sits there. I just can't seem to get this update downloaded.

Of course this all happens on the week I am off of work and wanting to
install other software but I will not do that till I get past this issue.

Anyone know why this is happening when there are no other issues with my
machine at all?

Thanks
Vince

From: Donaldr on
I am also trying to install Windows Installer 3.1 update. It downloads but
won't install. How can I get it to install?

From: Vince on
Well it came down. Took over an hour and windows update site says I have it
installed throught the update site.

However now that I see some messages here about other problems with this
update I wonder if my installation went properly? How will I know for sure?

Vince