From: jan07 on
I tried to download/install Windows Installer 3.1 (v2) [kb893803] as the
update notification told me. No success. I downloaded
WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe to perform a local install; ended up
with 3 error messages:
1: The system cannot find the file specified. 2: KB893803v2 installation did
not complete. Select 'OK' to undo the changes that have been made. 3:
KB893803v2 installation did not complete. Windows Installer has been
partially updated and may not work properly.
Then (without notification) system reboot.

My msi.dll is 3.1.4000.1823.

From: RobertDaTech on
I'm having the same issue and I did a little clicking of links and found my
error code to be 8020000E however, whenever I run a search on their site(MS)
I get nothing. (This is typical btw, I always wind up having to refer to some
other source to fix it.)

From: wrecks on
I have not installed this update yet. I came here to see if anyone had
anything on it frist.

From: MowGreen [MVP] on
Is any version of the Windows Installer listed in Add/Remove Programs in
the Control Panel ? Was the installed antivirus program running during
the attempted install and, if it was, which one is it ?

Could you please try this ? : Show hidden files, folders, and system files
http://www.xtra.co.nz/help/0,,4155-1916458,00.html
Right click a blank area on the Desktop, select New, Folder. Name it
Install. Now navigate to the WINDOWS\Installer folder. On the Menu bar
click Edit, Select All. Left click and hold the click on one of the
objects in the right frame and drag them to the Install folder. Let go
of the mouse to drop the files.

Now trying running WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe. Whether it
installs successfully or not, move the files back to their original
location afterwards. Delete the empty Install folder on the Desktop.

MowGreen [MVP 2004-2005]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

From: jan07 on
CP Add/Remove; listed "Windows Installer 3.1 (KB893803)"
Firewall; ZA Pro 5.5.094 was running. The problem seems to be caused by
ProcessGuard; I permitted the Windows Installer to start, but I didn't notice
the PG was blocking installation of drivers/services. I tried to allow
"driver/services" and then "Learning mode" without success; the problem seems
to be that the installer is unpacked to a new random folder at each start-up.

I disabled PG protection and the installation of Windows Installer 3.1 (v2)
was completed successfully. I now have msi.dll v3.1.4000.2435 in the System32
folder.

(I didn't understand why I should move WINDOWS\Installer to Desktop\ÃŒnstall;
it caused Kaspersky AV to work hard on reboot (real-time protection enabled).
The folder is now moved back.)

Thanks for your help.