From: W S on
MowGreen,
Tried this and it did properly install the update, but I couldn't load
Windows after. I restored to an earlier point. Am I supposed to replace the
files after restart or before? My error's a bit different. It saysit can't
access/no permission for files, including:
C:\WINDOWS\$MSI31Uninstall_KB893803v2$.
The error in the WindowsUpdate log is: 0x8024000b

From: MowGreen [MVP] on
Ah ha ... >> The problem seems to be caused by ProcessGuard;

Thanks for the information. Kapersky was slow to load because it was
looking for the files in their original location. It adds an Alternate
Data Stream to them. I wasn't aware that it was installed.
The reason I requested you move the files out of the Installer folder is
that sometimes they become corrupted and interfere with newer installs
or the Installer folder becomes filled up.
Actually, they are no longer needed after the install of software.

Glad to see that that the Installer was installed, though. Nice work !

MowGreen [MVP 2004-2005]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

From: MowGreen [MVP] on
W S,

It installed and then would not reboot ? Do the same as before and then
move the files back before rebooting.
Just searched this newsgroup and the only post related to this error
code, 0x8024000b, was posted by you today.
Did you see the post by jan07 ? A 3rd party software that guards system
processes is what prevented the install of Windows Installer.

MowGreen [MVP 2004-2005]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

From: W S on
Actually, I did move the files back before rebooting, and then it wouldn't
load windows. Should I try rebooting first? I'm not running ProcessGuard.
And as I said, my error message was a bit different, about permission, not
file not found.
Thanks,
W.

From: W S on
I've tried and it still doesn't work. No ideas? Here are my specific error messages when I try to install:

KB893803v2 Setup Error
KB893803v2 Setup could not backup registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\MSI30-Beta1
to file C:\WINDOWS\$MS131Uninstall_KB893803v2$\reg00003. 5: Access is denied.

KB893803v2 Setup Error
KB893803v2 Setup could not backup registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\MSI30-Beta2
to file C:\WINDOWS\$MS131Uninstall_KB893803v2$\reg00004. 5: Access is denied.

KB893803v2 Setup Error
KB893803v2 Setup could not backup registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\MSI30-RC1
to file C:\WINDOWS\$MS131Uninstall_KB893803v2$\reg00005. 5: Access is denied.

KB893803v2 Setup Error
KB893803v2 Setup could not backup registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\MSI30-RC2
to file C:\WINDOWS\$MS131Uninstall_KB893803v2$\reg00006. 5: Access is denied.

KB893803v2 Setup Error
KB893803v2 Setup could not backup registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\KB884016
to file C:\WINDOWS\$MS131Uninstall_KB893803v2$\reg00007. 5: Access is denied.

KB893803v2 Setup Error
KB893803v2 Setup could not backup registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\MSI30a-KB884016
to file C:\WINDOWS\$MS131Uninstall_KB893803v2$\reg00008. 5: Access is denied.

KB893803v2 Setup Error
KB893803v2 Setup could not backup registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\MSI30-KB884016
to file C:\WINDOWS\$MS131Uninstall_KB893803v2$\reg00009. 5: Access is denied.

KB893803v2 Setup Error
KB893803v2 Setup could not backup registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\MSI31-Beta
to file C:\WINDOWS\$MS131Uninstall_KB893803v2$\reg00010. 5: Access is denied.

KB893803v2 Setup Error
KB893803v2 Setup could not backup registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\MSI31-RC1
to file C:\WINDOWS\$MS131Uninstall_KB893803v2$\reg00011. 5: Access is denied.

KB893803v2 Setup Error
KB893803v2 Setup could not backup registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\KB893803
to file C:\WINDOWS\$MS131Uninstall_KB893803v2$\reg00012. 5: Access is denied.

The problem is that those registry keys aren't even openable -- they're in the registry, but I get "Cannot open [MSI30-Beta2]: Error while opening key. I'm logged in as Administrator, and I've set parent permissions properly. I can't even view permissions for those keys.

Thanks,

Will Stewart