From: Dexter Southerland on
Hi,
Thanks in advance for your help.
We are getting the following error on our Windows XP workstations when we
try to install or remove programs:

Windows Installer
The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you
are running Windows in Safe Mode, or if the Windows Installer is not
correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance.

Info :
Workstations' with problem are all running Windows XP Pro SP2. With Latest
patches, drivers and bios.

Logging into a Windows domain.
Domain controller Windows 2000 server SP4
Member server NT4 sp6
No group policies except default out of the box.

Installer 3.1 v2

Local workstation user account has local administrative rights.

Problem started after Autodesk vendor installed Autocad, inventor updates to
version 11. Also installed Vault on server.

Found the following on Autodesk site:
http://www.inventor-certified.com/graphics//requirementsr11.php#MSI_ISSUES

Article says there is a problem. Does not give a solution. No help from
autodesk. Vendor has unistalled Vault. Does not help. And they will not Help
anymore.

Have tried all the following KB articles plus some with no luck:
315353
315346
893803
886630
555175
324516

Plus a lot more that I did not write down.

I have wiped and reinstalled Windows XP. After rejoining to domain the
installer works until your first reboot.

This is true of a over the top reinstall too.

Autocad and inventor are installed on local machines. Only autodesk license
engine is on server.

Here is the only erroe in application log:
Event Type: Warning
Event Source: MsiInstaller
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1015
Date: 8/25/2006
Time: 4:28:43 PM
User: N/A
Computer: CAROLYNWS
Failed to connect to server. Error: 0x80070005

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Dexter Southerland

Pages: 1