From: Charles McPhate on
My client's remote technicians will be looking at a database record on a web
page using a Tablet PC. The user will need to enter handwritten notes --
without being converted to text. The notes should be saved as an image or
PDF. I know I can do this in Firefox using the HTML5 canvas tag, but IE
doesn't support it.

Is there a way to launch Windows Journal from IE and pass to it the record
number? I want the record number added to the Journal page and used as the
filename when saving.

Has anyone done anything like this? Or have any suggestions? I've spent
hours searching the web for ideas...
From: Beverly Howard on
Have you tried simply creating a link pointing to a local harddrive
known journal file?

It _should_ launch by file association, but, if it doesn't, I would
suspect that ie's security settings are preventing that from happening.

Beverly Howard
From: Rainald Taesler on
Charles McPhate wrote:
> My client's remote technicians will be looking at a database record
> on a web page using a Tablet PC. The user will need to enter
> handwritten notes -- without being converted to text. The notes
> should be saved as an image or PDF. I know I can do this in Firefox
> using the HTML5 canvas tag, but IE doesn't support it.
>
> Is there a way to launch Windows Journal from IE and pass to it the
> record number? I want the record number added to the Journal page and
> used as the filename when saving.

I do not filly understand your scenario. :-( :-(

Still:
You might have a look at OneNote.
It has the feature of saving webpages and/or marked parts and works
pretty fine with a pen.

The new 2010 version will be part of of all Office 2010 editions. The
final version (MSDN) is available on MSDN already and the the suites
will be in the shops in a few weeks.
Go to download the Office 2010 Beta and install OneNote.

If any questions on ON, ask in the "microsoft.public.onenote" newsgroup.

Rainald