From: J. P. Gilliver (John) on
In message <emN$WBheKHA.2184(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>, MEB
<MEB-not-here(a)hotmail.com> writes:
>On 12/10/2009 09:52 PM, someone watching wrote:
>> MEB, you sometimes answer posts with information which is helpful. BUT
>> the traffic cop approach (e.g. your response to 98Guy's post in this
>> thread) is just nauseating. It's been addressed before. Don't you have
>> anything better to do with your time than act as this groups traffic
>> cop?
>
> Like I care what you think...

OK, he tried - as I did - to say that some of your posts are helpful. If
you don't care what _anybody_ thinks, fairy nuff.
[]
> Do YOU think YOU supply anything of value here...

A post like his - like this one - is suggesting you consider withholding
your reflex (i. e. [knee-]jerk) reaction to any 98Guy post. If our
suggestions have no effect, i. e. you will continue to post one of your
templates (I see you have a new one - oh joy; at least it's shorter this
time) whenever 98G posts, then indeed we shouldn't bother. (Though I
hope I do occasionally post helpful answers to others - probably someone
watching does too.)

> These are DEFINITELY *not* the way to achieve longer use of the 9X OS.

Perhaps you could say what _is_ - other than keeping it in aspic, virgin
and untouched? Thinking about it, I don't think I have ever seen YOU
post anything about any update, for any part of '98. Maybe you've never
found any that satisfy your rigorous testing requirements.

> What part instill NEW AND UNKNOWN vulnerabilities escapes your mental
>faculties. Or is it you think that these provide fixes when they are NOT
>designed for the 9X OS and the way IT functions, AND are completely
>unknown to any available protections used with the 9X OS protection
>applications. Perhaps its just that you don't think...

Whisper this quietly: maybe they DO provide fixes (in the form of extra
functionality), but DO introduce new vulnerabilities at the same time!
[]
> By whom, parties with your apparent intellectual capacity/// hahahaha.

Comments like that only serve to diminish what your i. c. looks like
(not to me - I assume you don't care what I think, like you don't
someone watching - I mean to the hypothetical innocent whom you appear
to be trying to protect).

>> Thanks to 98Guy for keeping us updated with these mods to keep W98
>> going!
>>
>> I for one don't always use them but keep information in the back of my
>> mind or even archive it for possible future use. And like MANY, I want
>> to keep W98 alive as long as possible (because I use it)!

Similarly for me (though it's very much my second machines now).

> Well good luck, and WHY don't you provide some actual test results for
>9X users, you know something useful... rather than spouting this garbage.

For once I will refrain from saying why don't you provide some, because
as I say I can't remember - recently, anyway - you providing any details
of any updates at all.
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G.5AL-IS-P--Ch++(p)Ar(a)T0H+Sh0!:`)DNAf
** http://www.soft255.demon.co.uk/G6JPG-PC/JPGminPC.htm for ludicrously

.... on Thursdays on BBC Two, the former BBC2. (John Peel in "Radio Times", 1-7
May 1999.)
From: MEB on
On 12/11/2009 03:34 AM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> In message <emN$WBheKHA.2184(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>, MEB
> <MEB-not-here(a)hotmail.com> writes:
>> On 12/10/2009 09:52 PM, someone watching wrote:
>>> MEB, you sometimes answer posts with information which is helpful. BUT
>>> the traffic cop approach (e.g. your response to 98Guy's post in this
>>> thread) is just nauseating. It's been addressed before. Don't you have
>>> anything better to do with your time than act as this groups traffic
>>> cop?
>>
>> Like I care what you think...
>>
> OK, he tried - as I did - to say that some of your posts are helpful. If
> you don't care what _anybody_ thinks, fairy nuff.
> []
>> Do YOU think YOU supply anything of value here...
>
> A post like his - like this one - is suggesting you consider withholding
> your reflex (i. e. [knee-]jerk) reaction to any 98Guy post. If our
> suggestions have no effect, i. e. you will continue to post one of your
> templates (I see you have a new one - oh joy; at least it's shorter this
> time) whenever 98G posts, then indeed we shouldn't bother. (Though I
> hope I do occasionally post helpful answers to others - probably someone
> watching does too.)
>>
>> These are DEFINITELY *not* the way to achieve longer use of the 9X OS.
>
> Perhaps you could say what _is_ - other than keeping it in aspic, virgin
> and untouched? Thinking about it, I don't think I have ever seen YOU
> post anything about any update, for any part of '98. Maybe you've never
> found any that satisfy your rigorous testing requirements.

You're wasting my time...

>> What part instill NEW AND UNKNOWN vulnerabilities escapes your mental
>> faculties. Or is it you think that these provide fixes when they are NOT
>> designed for the 9X OS and the way IT functions, AND are completely
>> unknown to any available protections used with the 9X OS protection
>> applications. Perhaps its just that you don't think...
>>
> Whisper this quietly: maybe they DO provide fixes (in the form of extra
> functionality), but DO introduce new vulnerabilities at the same time!

Okay, *YOU* provide the test results; SHOW 9X users they provide
functionality and no new vulnerabilities... give them something to
review so they can make an intelligent and informed decision...

> []
>> By whom, parties with your apparent intellectual capacity/// hahahaha.
>>
> Comments like that only serve to diminish what your i. c. looks like
> (not to me - I assume you don't care what I think, like you don't
> someone watching - I mean to the hypothetical innocent whom you appear
> to be trying to protect).

You're right I don't care... I said that before... and you two are
hardly innocents..

>>> Thanks to 98Guy for keeping us updated with these mods to keep W98
>>> going!
>>>
>>> I for one don't always use them but keep information in the back of my
>>> mind or even archive it for possible future use. And like MANY, I want
>>> to keep W98 alive as long as possible (because I use it)!
>>>
> Similarly for me (though it's very much my second machines now).
>>>

>> Well good luck, and WHY don't you provide some actual test results for
>> 9X users, you know something useful... rather than spouting this garbage.
>>
> For once I will refrain from saying why don't you provide some, because
> as I say I can't remember - recently, anyway - you providing any details
> of any updates at all.

BECAUSE THERE ARE NONE... 9X is EOL. It ended support life with a
finite set of vulnerabilities, change those and you have NO idea what
you do have.
You want fixes then do like you're SUPPOSED to do, search for
programmers providing ACTUAL DESIGNED FOR 9X applications... guess what,
there are some still doing so.

--
MEB
http://peoplescounsel.org/ref/windows-main.htm
From: 98 Guy on
Sunny wrote:

> You are deficient in all that lends character. You have the
> personality of wallpaper.

Actually, he has the personality of a Micro$haft lawyer.

He certainly has the writing style of one.
From: MEB on
On 12/11/2009 07:07 PM, 98 Guy wrote:
> Sunny wrote:
>
>> You are deficient in all that lends character. You have the
>> personality of wallpaper.
>
> Actually, he has the personality of a Micro$haft lawyer.
>
> He certainly has the writing style of one.

Actually nimrods, I have tested 9X betas, win3 betas, XP betas, and the
OSs, Linux compilations, and thousands of applications, AND posted to
the programmers.
WHILE doing legal work, my regular work, a computer business, AND a
couple hobbies. Now what is it EXACTLY that you have done in your POS
lives, I mean besides being the idiots you are...

From: 98 Guy on
MEB wrote:

> > Actually, he has the personality of a Micro$haft lawyer.
> >
> > He certainly has the writing style of one.
>
> Actually nimrods, I have tested 9X betas, ...

Ok you klown.

If you've tested 9x then why don't YOU test these suggested 9x patches
instead of always bellyaching that they need or should be tested.

After all, you're the big test man, right? Microsoft engineers come to
you when they need testing - right? You wrote the book on Windoze
testing - right?

And you've worked on inventing and setting up usenet for them too -
right?

> WHILE doing legal work, my regular work,
> Now what is it EXACTLY that you have done in your POS lives

You think I/we've got POS lives?

You're the one doing "legal work".