From: J. P. Gilliver (John) on
In message <#kkyEDheKHA.2184(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>, MEB
<MEB-not-here(a)hotmail.com> writes:
>On 12/10/2009 08:28 PM, 98 Guy wrote:
>> I'm not exactly sure when this happened, but Microsoft has removed
>> approx. 535 groups from it's server. 21 of those pertain to windows-98.
[complete list repost]
Out of interest, does anyone (obviously outside the MS server) have a
feel for what the traffic level was on these 'groups?

> Microsoft has no intention of opening its Win7 or later OSs and
>applications to Usenet. It does supply forums [as these were originally]
>and other communities via direct access.

No, because they can't control them; they've never really felt at home
with usenet, one gets the impression from some people. (This may not
actually be the case.) Nothing to stop anyone else setting them up -
I'll just look, for the servers I use:

alt.windows7.general
it.comp.os.win.windows7
microsoft.public.it.windows7 (sounds suspiciously like ...!)

and probably some others (I didn't check for win.7, windows.7, win7,
win-7 ...)
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G.5AL-IS-P--Ch++(p)Ar(a)T0H+Sh0!:`)DNAf
** http://www.soft255.demon.co.uk/G6JPG-PC/JPGminPC.htm for ludicrously

.... on Thursdays on BBC Two, the former BBC2. (John Peel in "Radio Times", 1-7
May 1999.)
From: Tim Slattery on

"J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6JPG(a)soft255.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>In message <#kkyEDheKHA.2184(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>, MEB
><MEB-not-here(a)hotmail.com> writes:
>>On 12/10/2009 08:28 PM, 98 Guy wrote:
>>> I'm not exactly sure when this happened, but Microsoft has removed
>>> approx. 535 groups from it's server. 21 of those pertain to windows-98.
>[complete list repost]
>Out of interest, does anyone (obviously outside the MS server) have a
>feel for what the traffic level was on these 'groups?

Not much of one. Many of them are for quite obsolete products, and a
LOT of them were non-English language groups. The entire list was
posted to news.admin.misc. I was subscribed to
microsoft.public.win98.fat32, there were a few posts in that group
just last week.

>> Microsoft has no intention of opening its Win7 or later OSs and
>>applications to Usenet.

AFAIK, they haven't actually said that, but their actions certainly
bear it out.

--
Tim Slattery
Slattery_T(a)bls.gov
From: MEB on
On 12/11/2009 08:58 AM, Tim Slattery wrote:
> "J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6JPG(a)soft255.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> In message <#kkyEDheKHA.2184(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>, MEB
>> <MEB-not-here(a)hotmail.com> writes:
>> [complete list repost]
>> Out of interest, does anyone (obviously outside the MS server) have a
>> feel for what the traffic level was on these 'groups?
>
> Not much of one. Many of them are for quite obsolete products, and a
> LOT of them were non-English language groups. The entire list was
> posted to news.admin.misc. I was subscribed to
> microsoft.public.win98.fat32, there were a few posts in that group
> just last week.
>
>>> Microsoft has no intention of opening its Win7 or later OSs and
>>> applications to Usenet.
>
> AFAIK, they haven't actually said that, but their actions certainly
> bear it out.

Once again you are correct and what I posted was too limiting and too
direct.
As you indicate, I haven't seen a direct statement [press release or
otherwise] *from Microsoft* regarding Win7 Usenet groups; relying more
upon prior activities that the groups were generally created during beta
activities previously, or directly after RTM, AND I never received any
notice from Microsoft regarding Support offered via Usenet accessible
*public* groups. The secondary hearsay "from those in the know" seems to
indicate there will be none, or at least English versions.
Having just refreshed the list, I see only 14 groups supposedly left in
..win98, and no win7 or windows7

Microsoft DID create Win7 groups in its direct access communities
[TechNet, others].

--
MEB
http://peoplescounsel.org/ref/windows-main.htm
From: Sunny on

"MEB" <MEB-not-here(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Microsoft has no intention of opening its Win7 or later OSs and
> applications to Usenet. It does supply forums [as these were originally]
> and other communities via direct access.

Who cares, Usenet News group alt.windows7.general is up and running with
"Usenetters" giving valued advice (including some MVP)

From: J. P. Gilliver (John) on
In message <rqj4i5t3l09o91sj1sr1dliu5qfat1onha(a)4ax.com>, Tim Slattery
<Slattery_T(a)bls.gov> writes:
[]
>>In message <#kkyEDheKHA.2184(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>, MEB
>><MEB-not-here(a)hotmail.com> writes:
[]
>>> Microsoft has no intention of opening its Win7 or later OSs and
>>>applications to Usenet.
>
>AFAIK, they haven't actually said that, but their actions certainly
>bear it out.

alt.windows7.general
it.comp.os.win.windows7
microsoft.public.it.windows7

Are already on the 'servers I use. While far from proof of any sort, the
name of the last one suggests that it might be a Microsoft-"sponsored"
one.
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G.5AL-IS-P--Ch++(p)Ar(a)T0H+Sh0!:`)DNAf
** http://www.soft255.demon.co.uk/G6JPG-PC/JPGminPC.htm for ludicrously
outdated thoughts on PCs. **

The fetters imposed on liberty at home have ever been forged out of the weapons
provided for defence against real, pretended, or imaginary dangers from abroad.
-James Madison, 4th US president (1751-1836)