From: Tom Shelton on
On 2009-12-01, cjmUK <cjmuk70(a)newsgroup.nospam> wrote:

> "Ginny Caughey" <ginny.caughey.online(a)wasteworks.com> wrote in message
>> Chris,
>>
>> The modern tool for mobile development in VB would be Visual Studio and
>> VB.NET.
>>

> I don't see any project templates in VS2008 - surely there is an additional
> toolkit/SDK to add mobile device support?
>
> CJM

VS2008 Pro, it's called a smart device project.

--
Tom Shelton
From: CY on
Hmm, this is sorta .not link, but maybe better age 2005...

http://www.danielmoth.com/Blog/2005/11/getting-started-with-net-compact.html

dunno VB6 directly to mobile but can this contraption be wrapped for
vb6, maybe... did something like that with jni to go java-fortran,
ehhm, well, got a bit c too, but it worked.... eventually.

//CY
From: Richard Mueller [MVP] on

"cjmUK" <cjmuk70(a)newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
>A colleague is wanting to look into developing applications to to run on
>some Windows Mobile 2003 devices that we have. This is virgin territory for
>us, so I'm trying to find out what tools are available to us.
>
> I was told to look for Windows CE Toolkit for VB6; it did exist at one
> point but I certainly can't find it in MSDN anywhere - though there is the
> corresponding Windows CE Toolkit for C++.
>
> Does the VB6 Toolkit still exists (under MSDN?) and if not, what other
> tools would we need to get started in VB6?
>
> There are a number of reasons to be looking at VB6, but if we were to
> modernise, what would the .NET equivalent be? The Mobile Application
> Development Tookit? The Windows Mobile 2004 Platform SDK?
>
> Basically, can somebody point us in the right direction?
>
> Thanks
>
> Chris

The classic vb solution for mobile devices was embedded vb (eVB). This is no
longer supported. Windows Mobile (the new OS on mobile devices) no longer
includes the vb runtime. You used to be able to install the runtime
yourself, but other things are no longer supported. Your only option now is
..NET, which is completely different. There is no wizard for converting eVB
code to VB.NET.

--
Richard Mueller
MVP Directory Services

From: Henning on

"cjmUK" <cjmuk70(a)newsgroup.nospam> skrev i meddelandet

> "Henning" <computer_hero(a)coldmail.com> wrote in message
>

>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=81460842-47cc-4ff2-9a19-4db96e212d32
>

> Henning,
>
> Thanks, but I'd already discovered this - it's a simple, single-form
> example of how to use the toolkit - not the toolkit itself. Not having VB6
> on this machine any more I can't say more, but it clearly isn't the
> 'document' that it purports to be.
>
> Chris

Sorry, posted the link without checking :(

Seem that eMbedded Visual Basic has gone the same way as VB6, the only
alternative beeing the "new" VB. You can't get it from MS any moore. MS's
ways are mysterious, on a minimal target you have to drag along a
'compacted' version of the Flamework. Taking much moore space than any app.

/Henning

From: Nobody on
If you want to compete and use less resources, try Embedded Linux:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embedded_Linux