From: Allan Phillips on
I have an Pocket PC app that runs fine within: "Windows Mobile 5.0 Pocket PC Emulator". However, when I try to run it on the target PDA I get the "Not a valid Win32 application" error (0x800700C1).

The platform it has been built for is: "Pocket PC 2003 (ARMV4)".

On the PDA Settings/System/About/Version shows:
Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition
Version 4.21.1088 (Build 14235.2.0.0)
(c) 1996 - 2004 Microsoft Corporation.

Processor: Intel(R) PXA272
Memory: 122.04 MB

Should I be able to run this application on the above PDA?

Possibly of interest, when I attempt to run the application using emulator: "Pocket PC 2003 SE Emulator" I get the 0x800700C1 error.

Also, Depends.exe shows only three DLLs that it can't find (COREDLL.DLL, COMMCTRL.DLL, and AYGSHELL.DLL). It also shows CPU="Thumb" and Subsystem="WinCE 2.0 + GUI" for the .EXE file.

From: nvmd_2008 on
Hello Allan,

Was it a C++ or a .NET application?

It could be that the device you are trying to run it on is application locked
and therefore will reject any unsigned application. You may be able to remove
the lock using Device Security Manager (available from within VS2008 or as
an add-in for VS2005) or by using SDAApplicationUnlock (http://www.gpcarreon.com/SDA_ApplicationUnlock.zip)

From: Allan Phillips on
It is a C++ application built using VS2005.

I have been able to build a couple of other, though simpler, apps with
VS2005 and C++ that run just fine on the PDA so I don't think it could be
locked.

Also, this application won't run in the "Pocket PC 2003 SE Emulator" either.
There shouldn't be any locks within the emulator.

Allan.

From: r_z_aret on
On Sat, 4 Oct 2008 08:04:56 -0400, "Allan Phillips"
<allanephillips(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>It is a C++ application built using VS2005.
>
>I have been able to build a couple of other, though simpler, apps with
>VS2005 and C++ that run just fine on the PDA so I don't think it could be
>locked.

That strongly suggests you are using functions that are either not
supported at all, or need something not normally installed on the
target. So I suggest either starting with simple app that works and
adding until the app fails, or starting with your app that doesn't
work and subtracting until the app does work.

>Also, this application won't run in the "Pocket PC 2003 SE Emulator" either.
>There shouldn't be any locks within the emulator.

That suggests you really do know that you need to build separately for
emulator and real devices.

>Allan.
>

>"nvmd_2008" <noreply(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hello Allan,
>>
>> Was it a C++ or a .NET application?
>>
>> It could be that the device you are trying to run it on is application
>> locked and therefore will reject any unsigned application. You may be able
>> to remove the lock using Device Security Manager (available from within
>> VS2008 or as an add-in for VS2005) or by using SDAApplicationUnlock
>> (http://www.gpcarreon.com/SDA_ApplicationUnlock.zip)
>>
>>> I have an Pocket PC app that runs fine within: "Windows Mobile 5.0
>>> Pocket PC Emulator". However, when I try to run it on the target PDA
>>> I get the "Not a valid Win32 application" error (0x800700C1).
>>>
>>> The platform it has been built for is: "Pocket PC 2003 (ARMV4)".
>>>
>>> On the PDA Settings/System/About/Version shows:
>>> Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition
>>> Version 4.21.1088 (Build 14235.2.0.0)
>>> (c) 1996 - 2004 Microsoft Corporation.
>>> Processor: Intel(R) PXA272
>>> Memory: 122.04 MB
>>> Should I be able to run this application on the above PDA?
>>>
>>> Possibly of interest, when I attempt to run the application using
>>> emulator: "Pocket PC 2003 SE Emulator" I get the 0x800700C1 error.
>>>
>>> Also, Depends.exe shows only three DLLs that it can't find
>>> (COREDLL.DLL, COMMCTRL.DLL, and AYGSHELL.DLL). It also shows
>>> CPU="Thumb" and Subsystem="WinCE 2.0 + GUI" for the .EXE file.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
PenFact, Inc.
20 Park Plaza, Suite 400
Boston, MA 02116
www.penfact.com
From: Allan Phillips on
Thanks Robert.

I've just had one thought - this app was written using MFC.

Is it necessary to include extra DLLs when building a Windows Mobile app
that makes use of MFC?

Allan.