From: Scott Powers Scott on
This problem has been plaguing me for a while... I have several machines in
my domain that are running Windows XP with Windows NT 4.0 SP6 in Virtual PC
2004/2007 (some of both.) They work just fine in my office.

I also have a remote site that is connected by a single data T1 and does not
have its own domain controller, it uses ours.

I can set a machine up in my office and the Virtual NT machine works just
fine. Then when I take it to the remote office, the Virtual NT machine has no
network whatsoever. I've read the forums about installing the VM additions
and using the DEC 21140 driver, and that all appears to be correct (i.e. the
NT machine shows the correct 21140 driver.)

Here's the weird part: If I'm at the remote site and install the VM
additions, the Virtual NT machine reboots and connects to the network just
fine. But then the host XP machine loses its network. If I reboot the host,
XP has networking again, but NT does not. There's got to be a way for both
machines to use the network at the same time, like I said the same machine
works just fine in my home office...

Any ideas?
From: Bo Berglund on
On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 11:52:05 -0800, Scott Powers <Scott
Powers(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>This problem has been plaguing me for a while... I have several machines in
>my domain that are running Windows XP with Windows NT 4.0 SP6 in Virtual PC
>2004/2007 (some of both.) They work just fine in my office.
>
>I also have a remote site that is connected by a single data T1 and does not
>have its own domain controller, it uses ours.
>
>I can set a machine up in my office and the Virtual NT machine works just
>fine. Then when I take it to the remote office, the Virtual NT machine has no
>network whatsoever. I've read the forums about installing the VM additions
>and using the DEC 21140 driver, and that all appears to be correct (i.e. the
>NT machine shows the correct 21140 driver.)
>
>Here's the weird part: If I'm at the remote site and install the VM
>additions, the Virtual NT machine reboots and connects to the network just
>fine. But then the host XP machine loses its network. If I reboot the host,
>XP has networking again, but NT does not. There's got to be a way for both
>machines to use the network at the same time, like I said the same machine
>works just fine in my home office...
>
>Any ideas?

Remote site gateway may only accept one connection?
So after handing out (by DHCP) that connection there is none left...

--

Bo Berglund (Sweden)
From: d d on
Bo Berglund wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 11:52:05 -0800, Scott Powers <Scott
> Powers(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>> This problem has been plaguing me for a while... I have several machines in
>> my domain that are running Windows XP with Windows NT 4.0 SP6 in Virtual PC
>> 2004/2007 (some of both.) They work just fine in my office.
>>
>> I also have a remote site that is connected by a single data T1 and does not
>> have its own domain controller, it uses ours.
>>
>> I can set a machine up in my office and the Virtual NT machine works just
>> fine. Then when I take it to the remote office, the Virtual NT machine has no
>> network whatsoever. I've read the forums about installing the VM additions
>> and using the DEC 21140 driver, and that all appears to be correct (i.e. the
>> NT machine shows the correct 21140 driver.)
>>
>> Here's the weird part: If I'm at the remote site and install the VM
>> additions, the Virtual NT machine reboots and connects to the network just
>> fine. But then the host XP machine loses its network. If I reboot the host,
>> XP has networking again, but NT does not. There's got to be a way for both
>> machines to use the network at the same time, like I said the same machine
>> works just fine in my home office...
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> Remote site gateway may only accept one connection?
> So after handing out (by DHCP) that connection there is none left...

Or you maybe limited to only one VPN connection? I had that problem a
while back. Only one machine at a time (virtual or physical) could get a
PPTP VPN connection. It was solved by getting a better router.

Pages: 1
Prev: VPC 2007 - Server 2003
Next: VPC - Linux