From: Marcus on
ok i have ubuntu 9.10 iso.
when i start the installation for it, its reallyslow and eventually freezes
and crashes.
fails to install operating system.
help?
From: Robert Comer on
Windows Virtual PC, or VPC2007?

--
Bob Comer <Microsoft MVP - Virtual Machine>

From: Bo Berglund on
On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 00:03:01 -0800, Marcus
<Marcus(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>ok i have ubuntu 9.10 iso.
>when i start the installation for it, its reallyslow and eventually freezes
>and crashes.
>fails to install operating system.
>help?

Don't bother with Microsoft virtualization if you want to install
Linux! It's a huge uphill battle and you have no support!

Go to VMWare and download and install their Player 3 and then install
Ubuntu. It is a completely hassle-free experience.
Trust me, I have tried both. VPC sucks for Linux.

--

Bo Berglund (Sweden)
From: RB on
Hello (not the original poster) if I might jump in here and ask a question,
since I was contemplating trying the same thing he is .

>Don't bother with Microsoft virtualization if you want to install
>Linux! It's a huge uphill battle and you have no support!
>Go to VMWare and download and install their Player 3 and then install
>Ubuntu. It is a completely hassle-free experience.
>Trust me, I have tried both. VPC sucks for Linux.

Ok , so the VmPlayer works better with Ubuntu I got that. But I am very
confused as to where to start with virtualization. My concerns are
I only have 2 gig of ram, (processor ok I think, with 2x64, 1.7 gig speed AMD)
so I wanted to go with Linux as the host to cut down on resource usage.
I really only have need to run different VMs of XP (no other OSs) and do not
need to run them at the same time. ( I have some power apps that don't get along
with each other on same setup)
Can I do this with only the one XP license ?

From: Mark Rae [MVP] on
"RB" <NoMail(a)NoSpam> wrote in message

> I only have 2 gig of ram, (processor ok I think, with 2x64, 1.7 gig speed
> AMD)
> so I wanted to go with Linux as the host to cut down on resource usage.
> I really only have need to run different VMs of XP (no other OSs) and do
> not
> need to run them at the same time. ( I have some power apps that don't get
> along
> with each other on same setup)
> Can I do this with only the one XP license ?

Nope. The EULA states that you are required to have individual licences for
every machine on which Windows (in this case XP) is installed.

I.e. three VMs with XP on = three XP licences unless, of course, you have
some sort of volume licence arrangement, or maybe a TechNet / MSDN
subscription. That said, an MSDN subscription entitles you to run multiple
copies of the OS for development, testing, training and demonstration
purposes, not as production machines...

--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP