From: CptButtBeard on
I am running Vista Home Premium 64-bit. I keep getting this message:

"Error(s):
Code 80080005 Windows Update encountered an unknown error."

I have been getting this for about 2 months and I have ignored it untill
now. I think it all started when I tried to update to SP2.

Please help!!
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
What third-party firewall (if any)?

Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
it)?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
www.banthecheck.com

From: CptButtBeard on
I have McAfee on my laptop and yes the subscription is current (sometimes
when I turn my computer on McAfee says it isn't working properly, open the
security center to fix, I do so and it's back to normal). I am also using
Mcafee for anti-spyware and as the firewall (along with defender, however
defender cannot "check for new definitions." Wrong place for this but
couldn't hurt to mention."). When I bought the laptop it came pre-installed
with Norton, it was a one month free trial. I had to call a McAfee
representative to help me completely uninstall the Norton, but this was in
June or July of 08.

From: Ǝиçεl on
(along with defender, however defender cannot "check for new definitions."

Disable Microsoft Windows Defender

<http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS100610> -=-
-=-

From: CptButtBeard on
That helped with the defender issue but I still cannot use Windows Update.