From: Jon on
I only get the first screen when trying to perform windows updates. It says
"Checking for lastest version of windows update software". That is as far as
it gets. This computer does have windows xp SP 2 installed. No other
additional updates have been installed.
From: Taurarian on
0x8007043B error  Windows stops at checking for latest version

When searching for available updates on the Windows Update site, you see the
0x8007043B error
This error may occur if the WUAUSERV and BITS services are not configured properly in
the registry.
http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/showarticle.aspx?articleid=19&ln=en

or

Try registering the following:

Click Start, select Run and type (pressing enter after each one and wait for the
success message):

net.exe stop wuauserv
Press Ok

Repeat for the following:
regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 wuweb.dll
regsvr32 jscript.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll
regsvr32 msxml3.dll
regsvr32 softpub.dll
regsvr32 atl.dll

net.exe start wuauserv

From: Cobra on
I have the exact same problem now for about the last month. Have you found
any solutions yet???????

From: Juan on
Im having the same problem, i get the message, then it says that the windows
update page needs to install a new version click to install now, i do so, it
downloads, copy the files, but when registering it stops at 20% and gives me
a message that says: Windows update has found a problem and cannot show the
required page. Error number: 0x80070005. Please i need help! i have windows
xp and service pack 2

From: phil on