From: Karim434 on
It's a Sony Vaio laptop running Windows XP Professional and I use a PCMCIA
wireless adapter to connect it to the router. This has worked perfectly for
years but suddenly there's a problem.

The wireless adapter comes with its own management utility which includes
the option to let the utility or Windows manage the wireless connection. If I
let the utility do it then it detects and connects to the network and a
connected and firewalled connection appears in Network Connections. The
wireless connection wizard, however, fails to find any network and no
programs on the computer can actually connect to the Internet.

If, however, I opt for Windows to manage it, the utility loses the
connection altogether, the connection in Network Connections is lost and the
wireless connection wizard still fails to find any network.

I have tried various combinations of settings, reinstalling the adaptor
software, drivers and hardware and ensured the Wireless Zero Configuration is
operational but I can still only connect insofar as I have described. The
other computers here can connect to the router (including through the same
type of wireless adaper).

I think there is a problem with Windows wiresless facility but I do not know
enough about it to be sure. Please can someone help?
--
Karim434
From: Shenan Stanley on
Karim434 wrote:
> It's a Sony Vaio laptop running Windows XP Professional and I use a
> PCMCIA wireless adapter to connect it to the router. This has
> worked perfectly for years but suddenly there's a problem.
>
> The wireless adapter comes with its own management utility which
> includes the option to let the utility or Windows manage the
> wireless connection. If I let the utility do it then it detects and
> connects to the network and a connected and firewalled connection
> appears in Network Connections. The wireless connection wizard,
> however, fails to find any network and no programs on the computer
> can actually connect to the Internet.
>
> If, however, I opt for Windows to manage it, the utility loses the
> connection altogether, the connection in Network Connections is
> lost and the wireless connection wizard still fails to find any
> network.
>
> I have tried various combinations of settings, reinstalling the
> adaptor software, drivers and hardware and ensured the Wireless
> Zero Configuration is operational but I can still only connect
> insofar as I have described. The other computers here can connect
> to the router (including through the same type of wireless adaper).
>
> I think there is a problem with Windows wiresless facility but I do
> not know enough about it to be sure. Please can someone help?

Time for new and better hardware. Netgear maybe.
--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: 123Jim on

"Karim434" <Karim434(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> It's a Sony Vaio laptop running Windows XP Professional and I use a PCMCIA
> wireless adapter to connect it to the router. This has worked perfectly
> for
> years but suddenly there's a problem.
>
> The wireless adapter comes with its own management utility which includes
> the option to let the utility or Windows manage the wireless connection.
> If I
> let the utility do it then it detects and connects to the network and a
> connected and firewalled connection appears in Network Connections. The
> wireless connection wizard, however, fails to find any network and no
> programs on the computer can actually connect to the Internet.
>
> If, however, I opt for Windows to manage it, the utility loses the
> connection altogether, the connection in Network Connections is lost and
> the
> wireless connection wizard still fails to find any network.
>
> I have tried various combinations of settings, reinstalling the adaptor
> software, drivers and hardware and ensured the Wireless Zero Configuration
> is
> operational but I can still only connect insofar as I have described. The
> other computers here can connect to the router (including through the same
> type of wireless adaper).
>
> I think there is a problem with Windows wiresless facility but I do not
> know
> enough about it to be sure. Please can someone help?

Try installing the latest drivers for you adapter ~from the manufacturer's
website~
Something else to try is to remove the adapter's management utility ..
By the way if the management utility works ... why do you not want to use
it?

From: thecreator on
Hi Karim434,

Are you broadcasting the SSID Signal Name from the Router, or is it
Hidden?

If you are broadcasting the SSID Signal Name, then Windows Wireless
Manager should be able to see it.

If you are not broadcasting the SSID Signal Name, then it is hidden and
you must use Windows Wireless Manager to connect to a Hidden Network.

Once you are sure that you entered the Signal Name correctly and the
Security Code, reboot the Laptop to connect to the Wireless Network. I
noticed that sometimes you need to reboot for one to connect.

--
thecreator