From: Jose on
On Dec 12, 1:29 pm, mm <NOPSAMmm2...(a)bigfoot.com> wrote:
> Windows XP-SP3; Web access is only the first 10 or 15 minutes of each
> session.
>
> Besides planning to do a repair install on windows XP SP3...

If you installed ZA out of the box or out of the download, it can most
certainly use some adjusting.

The Spybot TeaTimer function is a memory hog. I personally quit using
Spybot long ago - never finds anything but cookies and there are lots
of other/better product. TeaTimer will consume 100K+ of virtual
memory while it is running. That is a lot.

Right click the Taskbar, choose to open Task Manager.

Click View, Select Columns, check the box that says: Virtual Memory
Size. Expand the width of the Task Manager
box so you can see all the columns.

Click the VM Size column heading once or twice to sort by VM Size
biggest to smallest, top to bottom.

Who's on top?

ZA is just a general hog and even worse if not tuned to your system
environment and most people don't bother or don't know how to
configure it so it doesn't cause performance issues. It is not for
everybody.

Disable both temporarily and see how things work.

Learn how to setup ZA if you think you need it - there are many
options and the defaults are not right for everybody. ZA itself is
not right for everybody either.

If you are using the ZA firewall and the XP firewall together, don't
(a lot of people do) - or you will have issues like yours. Pick one
or the other.

AVG? I have nothing good to say about AVG either.

More protection is not always a good thing. Too much protection can
be hazardous to your system performance and reliability. Well
orchestrated protection is the way to go.

At a glance, I would say your configuration is the cause of your woe,
but can be fixed.

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: c:\recycler