From: Janice L Janice L on
I have been having a real problem with Windows XP Update KB960859... it keeps
appearing when I have successfully installed it well over a dozen times. All
installations show in my update history. I have tried to troubleshoot this
myself...I have run numerous OneCare Scans...IT KEEPS APPEARING...HELP ME
PLEASE.

This is an important Security Update that I would like to know has been
installed properly. As I am writing this, the icon is there once again
telling me to install it.

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
1. Stop the Automatic Updates service:

Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Stop
(Stopping the service will take a moment)

2. Delete the contents of the Download folder:

Start > Run > (type in) %windir%\SoftwareDistribution > [OK]
Open the Download folder and delete its contents
Close the window.

3. Go to Windows Update website | Select CUSTOM and allow the scan to
complete | Uncheck/deselect KB960859 and hide it ("Don't show me this update
again").

4. Start the Automatic Updates service:

Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Start
(Starting the service will take a moment)
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
www.banthecheck.com

From: Janice L on
Hi PA Bear,

Thank you so very much for your reply. I did what you suggested but what I
forgot to mention was that even though my Update History was telling me that
this had been installed NUMEROUS times...when I went into my Control Panel
Add/Remove...the Update was not there. Does this mean that it never installed
in the first place eventhough it was saying that it did? If so, what should I
do?

This Update is extremely important since it states..."A security issue has
been identified that could allow an authenticated remote attacker to
compromise your system and gain control over it".

I appreciate any help you can steer my way!

Janice L

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
[Please reply to my posts, not yours.]

Open Add/Remove Programs & make sure the SHOW UPDATES box at the top is
checked: Do you find the update listed now?

Is it listed in the Update History section at
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com?

Janice L wrote:
> Hi PA Bear,
>
> Thank you so very much for your reply. I did what you suggested but what I
> forgot to mention was that even though my Update History was telling me
> that
> this had been installed NUMEROUS times...when I went into my Control Panel
> Add/Remove...the Update was not there. Does this mean that it never
> installed in the first place eventhough it was saying that it did? If so,
> what should I do?
>
> This Update is extremely important since it states..."A security issue has
> been identified that could allow an authenticated remote attacker to
> compromise your system and gain control over it".
>
> I appreciate any help you can steer my way!
<paste>

From: Janice L on
The update is listed and was installed on 13/08/2009 and is listed in the
Update History section of windowsupdate.microsoft.com numerous times.

Should I go to Add/Remove Programs, remove the update, reinstall it or just
leave it hidden? Thank you once again for your help!

Janice L