From: RichT on
Hello,

I have a Dell XT Tablet with XP Tablet PC SP3, and a Dell desktop with
normal XP SP3.

When I shut down "normal XP" on my desktop, I get a shutdown screen with
three big buttons - "Stand By, Turn Off, Restart"

When I shudown my Dell XT with XP Tablet, I get a dialogue box with the
question "What do you want the computer to do" with the options in a fiddly
drop down list of "Log Off, Shutdown, Restart, Stand by. Hibernate".

Rather strangely, fo a few days my XT reverted to the "normal" XP shutdown
screen - which I greatly prefer. It then reverted to the fiddly drop down
list shutdown.

I presume I must have changed some settings somewhere in the computer, then
chnaged them back, not realising that it made this change. Does anybody know
how this is controlled?

From: Rainald Taesler on
RichT wrote:
> I have a Dell XT Tablet with XP Tablet PC SP3, and a Dell desktop with
> normal XP SP3.
>
> When I shut down "normal XP" on my desktop, I get a shutdown screen
> with three big buttons - "Stand By, Turn Off, Restart"
>
> When I shudown my Dell XT with XP Tablet, I get a dialogue box with
> the question "What do you want the computer to do" with the options
> in a fiddly drop down list of "Log Off, Shutdown, Restart, Stand by.
> Hibernate".

This is "classic" shutdown dialog as used under NT.
It's tied to the settings for the log-on.

You call it "fiddly". This mode has a very important advantage for
TabletPC usage:
Due to a design flaw the "XP Style Shutdown Dialog Box" only has 3
buttons whereas 4 would be necessary. Therefore the option of
"hibernation" - the most important one if all for mobile computers is
not shown.
The option can be called by pressing the "h" key or the Shift key. Both
are not available if the TabletPC is run in "slate" mode.
Therefore it's my advice for TabletPC-users not to set the system to the
new "XP Style Shutdown Dialog Box" so that the selection if hibernation
can be made in the dropdown listbox of the "classic" shutdown dialog.

> Rather strangely, fo a few days my XT reverted to the "normal" XP
> shutdown screen - which I greatly prefer. It then reverted to the
> fiddly drop down list shutdown.
>
> I presume I must have changed some settings somewhere in the
> computer, then chnaged them back, not realising that it made this
> change. Does anybody know how this is controlled?

Yes, obviously you changed the settings in the applet for the User
Account.
On how to set it back pls see here:
http://www.askvg.com/how-to-enable-disable-new-xp-style-welcome-screen-log-off-and-shutdown-dialog-box-in-windows-xp/

HTH
Rainald

From: Beverly Howard on
Thanks for the link... appreciated.

I have been experimenting with speech input on my tablet, but, wanting
to verify a shutdown tip from the past, found that turning on speech
input has removed the input pad keyboard. Unchecking "speech" does not
help)

Any ideas on how to get the input panel keyboard back?

....related... if memory serves, the input panel keyboard <shift> is
sticky, so I think it's possible to tap <shift> then issue a shutdown
and have the hibernation option.

Beverly Howard
From: Rainald Taesler on
Beverly Howard wrote:
> Thanks for the link... appreciated.
>
> I have been experimenting with speech input on my tablet, but, wanting
> to verify a shutdown tip from the past, found that turning on speech
> input has removed the input pad keyboard. Unchecking "speech" does
> not help)
>
> Any ideas on how to get the input panel keyboard back?

I'm sorry, I have no idea.
Never came across this issue.

> ...related... if memory serves, the input panel keyboard <shift> is
> sticky, so I think it's possible to tap <shift> then issue a shutdown
> and have the hibernation option.

Thanks for this suggestion.
Will try it out.

Rainald

From: Beverly Howard on
>> missing input keys <<

Found this, but have not yet implimented it...

http://www.technologyquestions.com/technology/windows-xp-tablet-pc-newsgroup/219786-input-panel-keys-view-missing.html

Makes sense as I recently installed .net 2 to support an ms utility...
seems that .net creates as many problems as it solves... this page also
makes me suspect .net for a significant problem with the utility (MS
Timezone) itself.

Beverly Howard