From: j belle j on
I am having the same problem. I have XP SP3. Have installed this update 10
times so far and it keeps asking me to install it again. Update history says
it has installed correctly, but it still keeps asking me to install it

From: sofla on
1. To ENCEL - there is no way to uninstall a program when it is not
recognized. As I stated before, the program looked like it was successfully
installed but when viewing the update history it was not registered as
installed. This is why Windows Update keeps wanting to install the same
program over & over.
2. PA Bear - Yes I meant KB 955430. It is listed as a "Security Update for
Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2" which is why I called it a
security update.
3. There are no error messages. Everything indicates that it has been
successfully installed, yet it is not visible as an installed component & the
Windows Updater continues to want to install it again.
4. No, Visat SP1 wa not preloaded I updated to it when it became available,
no problems with the install.
5. Yes my subscription is current & I have all the latest
versions/definitions/updates of all the programs I run. My main app is Norton
360, Ver. 3.0. I also run Spybot & Malaware Bytes - both have been run as
Full Scans in Safe Mode recently.
6. My computer came with NIS 2007 initially but have since updated to N360
when subscription expired.

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
To avoid confusion, please begin a new thread about your specific problems.
State your IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP2)
in your first post.

j belle wrote:
> I am having the same problem. I have XP SP3. Have installed this update 10
> times so far and it keeps asking me to install it again. Update history
> says it has installed correctly, but it still keeps asking me to install
> it
<snip hijacked thread>

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
> 6. My computer came with NIS 2007 initially but have since updated to N360
> when subscription expired.

Aha! You will want to print the following instructions:

1. After making certain you have a copy of your Product Key, uninstall N360,
LiveUpdate and any Norton Add-ons via Control Panel | Programs | Uninstall a
program (or Control Panel | Programs and Features, if using Classic view).

2. IMPORTANT! => Enable the Windows Firewall.

browsing; reading email; chatting) except #3 through #5 below until N360 has
been installed and fully updated!

3a. Download the Norton Removal Tool to your desktop:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

3b. Right-click on the saved download and select Run as Administrator.
Don't TOUCH your keyboard until the run completes, then reboot.

4. Using your Product Key, reinstall N360 & reboot.

5. Make certain that the Norton firewall is enabled and the Windows Firewall
is disabled now.

6. Manually & repeatedly update N360 via LiveUpdate until you get a "no more
updates" prompt.

7. Now try installing KB954430 again.

If you need additionaly assistance, see the "How to obtain help" section of
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/954430 (not 955430)

PS: Never, EVER use System Restore to "undo" an update!!
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

From: sofla on
I know you are tyring to help but I am not a novice & am quite familiar with
the Norton Removal Tool which I ran before installing the latest version of
N360, so you are on the wrong track.

Also I have indicated that the files were not registered as installed
therefore they could not be 'uninstalled' & my only option was a System
Restore.

From what I have seen it appears that there is a problem with the latest
Windows Updater which was installedon 9/29 right before this problem occurred
& though you ask each of us to start a new thread they may well be related. I
posted because I thought the issue should be reported & was hoping that there
was a fix. Evidently there is not so unless you can come up with something
else I will thank you for your time & pop back occassionally to see if there
is a fix.