Prev: immunet
Next: LOCKERZ INVITE
From: FromTheRafters on

"Mr. Strat" <rag(a)nospam.techline.com> wrote in message
> In article <hlmd6k$rk4$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, FromTheRafters
> <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
>
>> Yes there has.
>>

>> http://threatinfo.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?vname=OSX_LEA
>> P.A
>
> PEBCAK

Irrelevant to your assertion: "There are not now nor have there been any
OS X viruses in the wild." (that you edited out).

[...]

>> you seem to be implying that this trend will continue
>> due to some sort of "security" built into the OS.

[...]

> Software maybe...but the operating system, no. I wasn't implying
> anything...maybe there will be an infection in the future...but nine
> years is a pretty good record, far better than any version of Windows.

Indeed!

> And it has nothing to do with market share; it has everything to do
> with the basic design of the operating system.

It has to do with *both* of those things.

From: Wolf K on
FromTheRafters wrote:
> "Mr. Strat" <rag(a)nospam.techline.com> wrote in message
>> In article <hlmd6k$rk4$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, FromTheRafters
>> <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Yes there has.
>>>

>>> http://threatinfo.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?vname=OSX_LEA
>>> P.A
>> PEBCAK
>
> Irrelevant to your assertion: "There are not now nor have there been any
> OS X viruses in the wild." (that you edited out).
>
> [...]
>
>>> you seem to be implying that this trend will continue
>>> due to some sort of "security" built into the OS.
>
> [...]
>
>> Software maybe...but the operating system, no. I wasn't implying
>> anything...maybe there will be an infection in the future...but nine
>> years is a pretty good record, far better than any version of Windows.
>
> Indeed!
>
>> And it has nothing to do with market share; it has everything to do
>> with the basic design of the operating system.
>
> It has to do with *both* of those things.

It also has to do with the unreasonable hatred of MS and Windows IMO.
Odd, since Stevie Joeboy is the real megalomaniac, not Willie Wallholes.
Apple gets away with anti-competitive practices that make other
companies drool with envy.

cheers,
wolf k.

PS: I have 5-year-old Mac Powerbook, so I know whereof I speak. I don't
use it much - the most overpriced, underpowered hardware I ever bought,
with a pathetically insufficient variety and range of software, too. So
why did I buy it? Because I was annoyed at Windows, is why. Dumbass
reason, I know. But who said I always act reasonably? ;-)

Good night all,
wolf k.
From: Harry on
On Feb 21, 11:33 pm, Wolf K <weki...(a)sympatico.ca> wrote:
> FromTheRafters wrote:
> > "Mr. Strat" <r...(a)nospam.techline.com> wrote in message

> >> PEBCAK
>
> > Irrelevant to your assertion: "There are not now nor have there been any
> > OS X viruses in the wild." (that you edited out).
>
> > [...]
>
> > [...]
>
> >> Software maybe...but the operating system, no. I wasn't implying
> >> anything...maybe there will be an infection in the future...but nine
> >> years is a pretty good record, far better than any version of Windows.
>
> > Indeed!
>
> >> And it has nothing to do with market share; it has everything to do
> >> with the basic design of the operating system.
>
> > It has to do with *both* of those things.
>
> It also has to do with the unreasonable hatred of MS and Windows IMO.
> Odd, since Stevie Joeboy is the real megalomaniac, not Willie Wallholes.
> Apple gets away with anti-competitive practices that make other
> companies drool with envy.
>
> cheers,
> wolf k.

One must remember....Apple started as a COMPUTER company....get it?
Hardware! Why would someone making their profits on hardware want
something else to run on it other than software meant for that
hardware. There are other software developers, right? What about M$
attempting to make their software proprietary to their OS?
From: Wolf K on
Harry wrote:
> On Feb 21, 11:33 pm, Wolf K <weki...(a)sympatico.ca> wrote:
[...]
>> (Prevalence of malware on Windows] also has to do with the unreasonable hatred of MS and Windows IMO.
>> Odd, since Stevie Joeboy is the real megalomaniac, not Willie Wallholes.
>> Apple gets away with anti-competitive practices that make other
>> companies drool with envy.
>>
>> cheers,
>> wolf k.
>
> One must remember....Apple started as a COMPUTER company....get it?
> Hardware! Why would someone making their profits on hardware want
> something else to run on it other than software meant for that
> hardware.

Apple has become a systems-maker, and of course it doesn't like people
messing with its system. And of course it wants to sell as much software
as possible, at very high prices.

Thing is, I can't "legally" install OS-X on anything other than an
Apple-branded machine. Google "hackintosh" to find out how Apple tries
to stop people from installing OS-X on their own hardware. (This is IMO
shooting yourself in the marketing foot: if you want people to like
Apple, you should make every effort to make it easy for them to have the
Apple experience.) They also control the "apps" on the iPhone. Etc.

> There are other software developers, right? What about M$
> attempting to make their software proprietary to their OS?

Win7 will run on all current PC motherboards, and most older ones. MS
wants you to buy their OS, and makes it easy to install on any hardware.
Even on an Intel Mac, actually, if you know how to re-partition the
disk. Which a PC user probably does, since PC mags are good at helping
people do that kind of thing.

And yes, MS tried to "integrate" their apps into the OS. Windows users
were not amused. Mac users take what Apple gives them, and kiss the hem
of SJ's garment in gratitude.

Where MS and Apple differ IMO is that MS has realised that OS and
software matters more than hardware. That's why MS is teaming with web
service providers, and is trying to position itself as the "cloud"
operator. To do this well, their OSs must be able to run any hardware,
and that's what they are aiming to do. (The same realisation has led
Google to produce its own browser and OS.)

Apple is still hung up on integrated systems, but IMO that's an
obsolescent concept. They tend to be a generation behind, anyhow: the
iPad is by no means the first tablet computer, and is about to be
eclipsed by the next generation of Blackberry. Macs _look_ cool, but are
overpriced for what they do. Their strength (and it's a formidable one)
is that Apple tunes and tweaks the system until it "just works."

And as I've pointed out before, I did buy a Powerbook, and still have
it. I could have had an equally capable Windows laptop for half the
price or less.

cheers,
wolf k.
From: David Kaye on
Harry <harryo43(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>One must remember....Apple started as a COMPUTER company....get it?
>Hardware! Why would someone making their profits on hardware want
>something else to run on it other than software meant for that
>hardware.

Asus, the biggest motherboard maker, has no problem with other operating
systems such as Linux running on their hardware.

>There are other software developers, right? What about M$
>attempting to make their software proprietary to their OS?

The difference is that Microsoft licenses their OS to any hardware
manufacturer that wants it. Apple doesn't. For a brief moment they did
license their OS to Mac clone makers but that stopped immediately when Steve
Jobs came back on board.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: immunet