Prev: immunet
Next: LOCKERZ INVITE
From: Dustin Cook on
Wolf K <wekirch(a)sympatico.ca> wrote in

> Harry wrote:
>> On Feb 21, 11:33 pm, Wolf K <weki...(a)sympatico.ca> wrote:
> [...]
>>> (Prevalence of malware on Windows] also has to do with the
>>> unreasonable hatred of MS and Windows IMO. Odd, since Stevie Joeboy
>>> is the real megalomaniac, not Willie Wallholes. Apple gets away with
>>> anti-competitive practices that make other companies drool with
>>> envy.
>>>
>>> cheers,
>>> wolf k.
>>
>> One must remember....Apple started as a COMPUTER company....get it?
>> Hardware! Why would someone making their profits on hardware want
>> something else to run on it other than software meant for that
>> hardware.
>
> Apple has become a systems-maker, and of course it doesn't like people
> messing with its system. And of course it wants to sell as much
> software as possible, at very high prices.
>
> Thing is, I can't "legally" install OS-X on anything other than an
> Apple-branded machine. Google "hackintosh" to find out how Apple tries
> to stop people from installing OS-X on their own hardware. (This is
> IMO shooting yourself in the marketing foot: if you want people to
> like Apple, you should make every effort to make it easy for them to
> have the Apple experience.) They also control the "apps" on the
> iPhone. Etc.
>
>> There are other software developers, right? What about M$
>> attempting to make their software proprietary to their OS?
>
> Win7 will run on all current PC motherboards, and most older ones. MS
> wants you to buy their OS, and makes it easy to install on any
> hardware. Even on an Intel Mac, actually, if you know how to
> re-partition the disk. Which a PC user probably does, since PC mags
> are good at helping people do that kind of thing.
>
> And yes, MS tried to "integrate" their apps into the OS. Windows users
> were not amused. Mac users take what Apple gives them, and kiss the
> hem of SJ's garment in gratitude.
>
> Where MS and Apple differ IMO is that MS has realised that OS and
> software matters more than hardware. That's why MS is teaming with web
> service providers, and is trying to position itself as the "cloud"
> operator. To do this well, their OSs must be able to run any hardware,
> and that's what they are aiming to do. (The same realisation has led
> Google to produce its own browser and OS.)
>
> Apple is still hung up on integrated systems, but IMO that's an
> obsolescent concept. They tend to be a generation behind, anyhow: the
> iPad is by no means the first tablet computer, and is about to be
> eclipsed by the next generation of Blackberry. Macs _look_ cool, but
> are overpriced for what they do. Their strength (and it's a formidable
> one) is that Apple tunes and tweaks the system until it "just works."
>
> And as I've pointed out before, I did buy a Powerbook, and still have
> it. I could have had an equally capable Windows laptop for half the
> [...]

You could have probably purchased two of those laptops Windows powered
for what you paid for that single Mac. <g> And, if something in the Intel
laptop does die, you can actually replace it with a variety of parts from
different manufacturers in some cases. Intel/PC is like a car you can
modify if you desire, a mac is something you bought from the factory as
is, with very little to no room for any sort of modifications. What horse
power it came with is all it's going to make. You can't install a blower
or supercharger or any other goodies. But your PC sitting there probably
would accept some new goodies if it's a laptop, and lots of new upgrades
and tweaks if it be of a desktop/tower nature.

--
"Hrrngh! Someday I'm going to hurl this...er...roll this...hrrngh..
nudge this boulder right down a cliff." - Goblin Warrior

From: Dustin Cook on
sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com (David Kaye) wrote in

> Harry <harryo43(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>One must remember....Apple started as a COMPUTER company....get it?
>>Hardware! Why would someone making their profits on hardware want
>>something else to run on it other than software meant for that
>>hardware.
>
> Asus, the biggest motherboard maker, has no problem with other
> operating systems such as Linux running on their hardware.

I'm not a personal fan really of Asus. Asus tends to ship the latest and
greatest with not quiet right BIOS's. I understand that when you build it
yourself you are always in some way becoming a beta tester, but to almost
know for sure the board you just bought is probably a BIOS update or more
behind is a bit frustrating. They're too quick to get the boards in
production with all the bells and whistles; only when you hit the horn, the
whistle may not blow; Your brakes might come on instead. *grin*.

--
"Hrrngh! Someday I'm going to hurl this...er...roll this...hrrngh.. nudge
this boulder right down a cliff." - Goblin Warrior

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: immunet
Next: LOCKERZ INVITE