From: Sonrisante on

Marty:

I thank you for your long post. I didn't need all of it, but the link
you mentioned is what helped me. Unfortunately that KB-link isn't very
well-written.

My issue is that I'm running Vista Ultimate Service Pack 2 (regardless
of what others say about it not being available yet; I'm pulling this
info straight from my computer/properties tab; apparently it's been
released since May).

The error message I suddenly started receiving for the past few days is
exactly what you described in your post:

> Your computer can't come out of hibernation
> Info: A fatal error occured processing the restoration data
> File: \hiberfil.sys

I found the following link in your thread, which has restored my
ability to use the hibernate feature:

'Error message when a computer that is running Windows Vista SP1
resumes from hibernation: \"System was shutdown unexpectedly\"'
(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/951218/en-us)

I've been able to hibernate and restore once since following the
instructions in that post. However, I never would have found that post,
since it doesn't directly reference the error I'm seeing.

Thanks again!

--
Sonrisante

From: Harry Johnston [MVP] on
Sonrisante wrote:

> Marty:
>
> I thank you for your long post. I didn't need all of it, but the link
> you mentioned is what helped me. Unfortunately that KB-link isn't very
> well-written.
>
> My issue is that I'm running Vista Ultimate Service Pack 2 (regardless
> of what others say about it not being available yet; I'm pulling this
> info straight from my computer/properties tab; apparently it's been
> released since May).

The message you are replying to was written in October last year. At that time,
service pack 2 had not been released.

Harry.