From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Yautja Hunter wrote:
> My Windows is fully updated though.

What application is installed which requires .NET Framework 4.0?
From: Yautja Hunter on
> What application is installed which requires .NET Framework 4.0?

I am trying to install Xvid4PSP Video Converter (http://www.winnydows.com) -
it's one the best converters I've ever seen. It won't install unless it
detects .NET Framework 4.0 in the system. Earlier versions worked without
..NET Framework 4.0, but latest ones (so called "Daily betas" ) require it.
From: MowGreen on
Yautja Hunter wrote:
> [6/1/2010, 0:47:33]Final Result: Installation failed with error code:
> (0x00000BC9), "The requested operation failed. A system reboot is required to
> roll back changes made. " (Elapsed time: 0 00:00:51).

0x00000BC9 means exactly what it states, nothing more.

Suggest you check this thread:
..NET 4.0 will not install on Windows 7
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/netfxsetup/thread/1e40f004-1892-4ccc-bf22-cdd247b0099e

Although the error in that thread may not be the same as the one your
system is experiencing, YiChun Chen shows the poster how to collect the
installation logs from Temp using

Microsoft Visual Studio and .NET Framework Log Collection Tool
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e0da314f-6216-4a18-bc6b-7d29cf83af20&displaylang=en

Check for issues with WinSxS in the logs. If an issue(s) do exist with
WinSxS, then there are only 4 steps that will resolve it (them):

1) Run the System Update Readiness Tool (CheckSUR)
2) Run the System File Checker (Elevated- aka Run as admin)
3) Try an "in-place upgrade" (aka Repair Install)
4) Reformat/reinstall

BTW, suggest you check out Aaron Stebner's blog:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2010/05/13/10012778.aspx

He is "The Source" for troubleshooting .NET issues. You can contact him
from the Comments areas or via the "Email Blog Author" link:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/contact.aspx

MowGreen
================
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Yautja Hunter wrote:
> I am trying to install Xvid4PSP Video Converter
> (http://www.winnydows.com) -
> it's one the best converters I've ever seen. It won't install unless it
> detects .NET Framework 4.0 in the system. Earlier versions worked without
> .NET Framework 4.0, but latest ones (so called "Daily betas" ) require it.

What Mow said.

Or post here for assistance: http://forum.winnydows.com/viewforum.php?f=23

From: Yautja Hunter on
I already have been in extensive discussion with YiChun Chen:
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/netfxsetup/thread/8fb799a2-56f2-428d-9598-c002935b82be?prof=required

YiChun Chen has checked my logs (collected with Microsoft Visual Studio and
..NET Framework Log Collection Tool) and concluded that there is an error with
Windows6.1-KB958488-v6001-x86.msu update which is installed by .NET Framework
4.0. However he doesn't understand what hinders the installation of that
update. He ran out of ideas and suggested that I ask about it at this Windows
Update forum. So now I am here :-)