From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
You could always do a clean install of Win7 & try again.
From: MowGreen on
Yautja Hunter wrote:
> I already have been in extensive discussion with YiChun Chen:
> http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/netfxsetup/thread/8fb799a2-56f2-428d-9598-c002935b82be?prof=required
>
> YiChun Chen has checked my logs (collected with Microsoft Visual Studio and
> .NET Framework Log Collection Tool) and concluded that there is an error with
> Windows6.1-KB958488-v6001-x86.msu update which is installed by .NET Framework
> 4.0. However he doesn't understand what hinders the installation of that
> update. He ran out of ideas and suggested that I ask about it at this Windows
> Update forum. So now I am here:-)

GMTA ? <w> I see YiChun Chen recommended the running of the System
Update Readiness Tool (CheckSUR). Have you done so and checked the
log(s) it created ? Would you please post one of the logs ?

Description of the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista, for
Windows Server 2008, for Windows 7, and for Windows Server 2008 R2
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

Click the " Download the update package now " link next to " All
supported x86-based versions of Windows 7 ".
That will take you to the download page.
Click the Continue button and the system will be Validated. Download
Windows6.1-KB947821-v5-x86.msu and *save* it.
Close *all* open programs and browsers.
Run Windows6.1-KB947821-v5-x86.msu.
The 2 logs it creates will be located at:

Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log <-- this log
Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.persist.log < -- or, this log

Check either log to see if running CheckSUR resolved all CBS 'issues'.
If it did, then suggest you try to install a manually downloaded
Standalone Installer copy of .NET 4 after configuring the system to
Clean boot. This is NOT the Web Installer, which is just a stub that
downloads the rest of the files, it's a 'package that installs the .NET
Framework runtime and associated files' :

Microsoft .NET Framework 4 (Standalone Installer)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=0a391abd-25c1-4fc0-919f-b21f31ab88b7

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows
Vista or in Windows 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

BTW, don't you just love when posts are marked as Answers when they do
NOT resolve the issue that the thread is about ?
At best, it's childish, at worst, it's completely dishonest.

MowGreen
================
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com
From: Yautja Hunter on
> GMTA ? <w> I see YiChun Chen recommended the running of the System
> Update Readiness Tool (CheckSUR). Have you done so and checked the
> log(s) it created ? Would you please post one of the logs ?

Sure. Here they are:

From CheckSUR.log

=================================
Checking System Update Readiness.
Binary Version 6.1.7600.20667
Package Version 8.0
2010-06-03 20:49

Checking Windows Servicing Packages
Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs
Checking Package Watchlist
Checking Component Watchlist
Checking Packages
Checking Component Store

No errors detected
=================================

From CheckSUR.persist.log:

=================================
Checking System Update Readiness.
Binary Version 6.1.7600.20667
Package Version 8.0
2010-06-03 20:49

Checking Windows Servicing Packages
Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs
Checking Package Watchlist
Checking Component Watchlist
Checking Packages
Checking Component Store

No errors detected
=================================

> Check either log to see if running CheckSUR resolved all CBS 'issues'.
> If it did, then suggest you try to install a manually downloaded
> Standalone Installer copy of .NET 4 after configuring the system to
> Clean boot. This is NOT the Web Installer, which is just a stub that
> downloads the rest of the files, it's a 'package that installs the .NET
> Framework runtime and associated files'

I have tried installing Microsoft .NET Framework 4 (Standalone Installer),
it fails just the same as Web Installer.

What I HAVEN'T tried yet is performing a Clean Boot. I will try now. Be back
soon.

> BTW, don't you just love when posts are marked as Answers when they do
> NOT resolve the issue that the thread is about ?
> At best, it's childish, at worst, it's completely dishonest.

I don't understand why and who does it :-(
From: Yautja Hunter on
Have performed Clean Boot and tried to install .NET Framework 4.0 using
Standalone Installer. FAILED as usual.

The complete log provided by .NET Framework Installer is too large to be
posted here. Can I send it to you by e-mail or provide a link here to a file
sharing service?

From: MowGreen on
Yautja Hunter wrote:
> Have performed Clean Boot and tried to install .NET Framework 4.0 using
> Standalone Installer. FAILED as usual.
>
> The complete log provided by .NET Framework Installer is too large to be
> posted here. Can I send it to you by e-mail or provide a link here to a file
> sharing service?

Since I don't know how big the attachment is, it might be best if you
could post it, BUT ... I do have someone at MS who said she will take a
look at .NET 4 installation issues and I'm going to alert her to this
specific thread and the one on MDSN.

Please, hold tight for now, Yautja

MowGreen
*-343-* FDNY