From: Victor and TJ Friedmann on
From other posts I have been able to almost autoplay a ppt presentation on a
flash drive by inserting the proper commands in the autorun.inf. What comes
up is the autoplay menu with the stick icon on top of the list; simply
pressing "enter" starts the show. Good, but not as good as an auto-playing
CD.

I understand that Windows7 works differently.

I also understand that using a U3 flash drive fools the computer into
thinking the drive is a CD thus suggesting that the standard autorun.inf
used to autoplay ppt shows on CD's would work automatically just as if it
were a CD.

I am a little confueed abot where to place the autorun.inf file and what to
put into it because my U3 drive comes with its own autorun.inf to launch the
U3 launchpad. Thus, no matter what I do, I always get the windows autoplay
options menu instead of playing the show automatically.

It would be super if I could find a way to start the show automatically from
a U3 flash drive, or any flash drive, for that matter.

Any help out there?

Thanks,

Vic

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Victor and TJ Friedmann wrote:
> From other posts I have been able to almost autoplay a ppt presentation on a
> flash drive by inserting the proper commands in the autorun.inf. What comes
> up is the autoplay menu with the stick icon on top of the list; simply
> pressing "enter" starts the show. Good, but not as good as an auto-playing
> CD.
>
> I understand that Windows7 works differently.
>
> I also understand that using a U3 flash drive fools the computer into
> thinking the drive is a CD thus suggesting that the standard autorun.inf used
> to autoplay ppt shows on CD's would work automatically just as if it were a
> CD.
>
> I am a little confueed abot where to place the autorun.inf file and what to
> put into it because my U3 drive comes with its own autorun.inf to launch the
> U3 launchpad. Thus, no matter what I do, I always get the windows autoplay
> options menu instead of playing the show automatically.
>
> It would be super if I could find a way to start the show automatically from
> a U3 flash drive, or any flash drive, for that matter.
>
> Any help out there?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Vic

Well, two things. First, a *lot* of folks (myself included) forbid
autoplays from executing unassisted. That's about the quickest
possible way to catch computer cooties that there is. Second, if the
drive already has an autoplay, delete or rename it.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: verizon news groups on
Thank you, Karl, I am beginning to think that a simple instruction to press
the enter key for execution is the easiest way to go. Thank you for your
comment.

Vic

From: Karl E. Peterson on
verizon news groups wrote:
> Thank you, Karl, I am beginning to think that a simple instruction to press
> the enter key for execution is the easiest way to go. Thank you for your
> comment.

Well, nothing wrong with having the AutoPlay there, but it's always
good to give "manual" instructions too. :-)

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org