From: Graham on
Looks like may of gone 'too' far ,

pc is running using sata-2 hard drives (x2) , installed is the
intel ICH10R driver . gigabyte m-board set to achi? / ide ... hard
drives c-d/e-f , 1 sata dvd 1 ide dvd drive

I now find that I cannot run any of the windows boot tools ..
comes up with 'cannot access volume' and then boots

tried to run the win-xp install disk .. runs .. then after
installing the sata drive . comes up with error message , linked
to volume data drive D and stalls .. with no drive .. cannot
access the volume

so at this point , cannot run the install cd to change anything
and the only way to dfrag the drives is to use the on line MS-
tune up tool .

I can see reference to the problems on the web .... with no
'fix'

SO .. how to get the pc back .. If I set the MB to IDE , it
will see the drives , but what will windows do ?

If I run set up , assume it will revert to the legacy ide
drivers ?

Is there a way to run the disk tools , with the pc as-is ,
anything that can be downloaded as the windows versions are out
of reach ??

tnx - G.

From: Shenan Stanley on
Graham wrote:
> Looks like may of gone 'too' far ,
>
> pc is running using sata-2 hard drives (x2) , installed is the
> intel ICH10R driver . gigabyte m-board set to achi? / ide ...
> hard drives c-d/e-f , 1 sata dvd 1 ide dvd drive
>
> I now find that I cannot run any of the windows boot tools ..
> comes up with 'cannot access volume' and then boots
>
> tried to run the win-xp install disk .. runs .. then after
> installing the sata drive . comes up with error message , linked
> to volume data drive D and stalls .. with no drive .. cannot
> access the volume
>
> so at this point , cannot run the install cd to change
> anything and the only way to dfrag the drives is to use the
> on line MS- tune up tool .
>
> I can see reference to the problems on the web .... with no
> 'fix'
>

> SO .. how to get the pc back .. If I set the MB to IDE , it
> will see the drives , but what will windows do ?
>
> If I run set up , assume it will revert to the legacy ide
> drivers ?
>
> Is there a way to run the disk tools , with the pc as-is ,
> anything that can be downloaded as the windows versions are out
> of reach ??
>
> tnx - G.

Try to explain what you did (what you changed) that led to this point.

I can somehow decipher that you cannot run certain Windows 'disk utilities'
now - but beyond that - I think you are assuming everyone online was
watching you get to this point - and - I know I wasn't there.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP