From: Mark on
I have a Gateway notebook model 6518gz that i wiped the hard drive with
killdisk and loaded the XP OS from disk (service pack 1). I downloaded all
the drivers for motherboard, audio, etc. as well as network drivers and
adapter software. My notebook does detect wireless networks, it allows me to
configure to them, and connect to them. The icons on the toolbar indicate
connected to the specific network name and gives excellent signal strength.
However, in the network connections window, the status is "enabled" and never
moves on to "connected". A ping to the default gateway IP times out. Prior
to wiping the disk, the notebook did connect to the network, so i doubt it is
my card, but i can't come up with anything else to do here. Also, i have
tried connecting directly to the ethernet DSL cable and that does not work
either. HELP!!!
Mark
From: Jack [MVP-Networking] on
Hi
The fact that you see signal means that the Wireless Card basic is OK.
However, something blocks its capacity to obtain a valid connection from the
Wireless source. Check the Firewall to make sure that it does not block the
Network zone that you working with.
I do not know what your Wireless source is, but if there is issues of
Encryption and other parameter that need to be adjusted you have to take of
it. http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

From: Mark on
I failed to mention before that i have a wireless router with 64-bit WEP
encryption and two other household laptops can connect using the code that i
am using on this connection setting. I even removed the WEP security and
made the router open and still no connection. I have checked the firewall
setting in the wireless network connection properties under the advanced tab
and the ICS box is not checked. I don't see any other firewall setting to
check. I am really at a loss here.

From the "Intel PROSet/Wireless" , I click on "Tools" and "Intel Wireless
Troubleshooter" and it suggests an authentication failure, incorrect
encryption keys, or DHCP server malfunction. I don't know where to go from
here. I appreciate your assistance.

From: Jack [MVP-Networking] on
Hi
Make sure that the Intel Wireless Utility and Windows native Wireless
utility are Not both loaded up at start up.
Temporarily, do not switch On the security in the Router until you have a
solid connection.

From: David Webb on
You should bring your OS up-to-date before any more trouble-shooting. SP3
contains many hotfixes for wireless issues.
If your system only has SP1, it must be updated to SP3 in two steps.

\quote (MS)
To install Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3), either Windows XP Service Pack 1a
(SP1a) or Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) must already be installed.
\end quote

To obtain SP2:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

To obtain SP3:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389

Note: If Internet Explorer has been upgraded, uninstall it prior to installing
any of these updates so that IE6 is restored. You can upgrade again to IE7 or
IE8 after SP3 is stabilized.