From: John Wunderlich on
Slaz <theslaz(a)test.net> wrote in news:xEU7n.61277$Db2.48088(a)edtnps83:

> This looks like it is want I want. I just have to locate the article
> that refers to Windows Vista and Windows 7.

"Set up a computer-to-computer (ad hoc) network"
<http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Set-up-a-computer-to-computer-ad-hoc-network>

HTH,
John
From: Lem on
Slaz wrote:
> Lem wrote:
>> Slaz wrote:
>>> Both laptops have their own wireless adapters. The problem is that at
>>> most campgrounds the signal is very weak and they can not connect
>>> properly. I therefore use a Wlan 802.11g USB adapter plugged into one
>>> of the laptops. This adapter has an antenna attached to it that I
>>> attach to the roof of my Rv. I am than able to "Pull" in the signal
>>> from the campground. I would than like my second laptop to connect to
>>> the first via a wireless connection; if possible. If it can't be done
>>> without the wires; that is okay. I am just trying to get away from
>>> using the wires.

>> Well, that wasn't clear at all.
>>
>> In that case, use ICS as explained in the link in my earlier response.
>> You will connect to the Internet using your 802.11g USB adapter and the
>> link between the two computers will be via wireless using the built-in
>> adapters.
>>
>> When you get to this screen, select the entry that corresponds to the
>> built-in adapter:
>> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/serverbroadband/ics_serverbroadband04.gif
>>

>> One thing that you will need to worry about will be interference between
>> the wireless link between your RV and the Camp's access point on one
>> hand and the wireless link between your two laptops on the other hand.
>> You won't have any control over which channel is used by the RV Camp
>> because that's set by the Campground owner. Depending on the built-in
>> adapter on your "host" laptop, you may be able to configure the channel
>> it uses for ICS. Click on the icon for that wireless adapter and select
>> Properties. You'll get a screen that looks something like the following
>> (although this is for a *wired* adapter):
>> http://www.ezlan.net/example/tcp.jpg
>>
>> Click the "Configure" button next to the box where the name of your
>> wireless adapter appears and select the "Advanced" tab. If you can set
>> the channel, that's where the option will be. Although there are 11
>> channels available in the US, you should use only channel 1, channel 7,
>> or channel 11. If yours is settable, set it to 1 or 11; if you have
>> interference, set it to the other extreme.
>>
>> If I were you, before setting out on your trip, I'd buy a sufficiently
>> long Ethernet cable -- just in case.
>>
> I've been struggling with poor signals for years at campgrounds. Pulling
> into a campground at 2:00 P.M. when there are hardly any campers; I can
> usually get a good signal. Late at night when the campground is full, is
> a different story. That is why I bought a adapter that I could attach an
> antenna to. The antenna and adapter is attached to the main computer via
> a 15 foot Usb cable; I then place the antenna on the roof of my 5th and
> all is good. That basically retricts the amount I can move the main
> laptop around. That is why I would like the second laptop to connect via
> [...]

I understand.

If you want the laptop that's connected to your external antenna to
connect wirelessly to your second laptop, then that first laptop needs
*two* wireless adapters. If it has a built-in wireless adapter (in
addition to the USB adapter), you can use that as the second wireless
adapter. Or, as Jack suggests, you can buy a second USB adapter.
Altogether, you need a minimum of 3 wireless adapters: two on the "main"
or "host" laptop and one on the "client" laptop.

All I meant by the comment at the end of my previous post was that if I
were you, I'd bring a long Ethernet cross-over cable along so that if
your laptop-to-laptop wireless link doesn't work, you can use ICS via
the cable to get your second laptop connected.

As with a lot of wireless networking, you probably will have to do some
experimenting. For example, although I mentioned possible interference
between the link to the campground router and the ICS link to the other
laptop, it may well be that with your external antenna outside of your
metal RV, you won't get that interference.

--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago: