From: Slaz on
Wanting to know if it is possible to connect two laptops via a wireless
connection without the use of a wireless router. Reason being; is that
when I go Rving; I'll have my main laptop receiving a signal from a
access point via a Wlan 802.11g USB adapter with a antenna; and I would
like to have the other laptop receive that same signal via my main
laptop. ( only have one adapter )!

On the same subject; at home, I have a set up with a Apple TV box
connected to my Tv. The Apple Tv box streams all my movies from my
computer to the TV via a wireless connection. At home; this all goes
through my wireless router. Is it possible to do this whilst Rving
without the wireless router.

Thanks in advance.
From: Lem on
Slaz wrote:
> Wanting to know if it is possible to connect two laptops via a wireless
> connection without the use of a wireless router. Reason being; is that
> when I go Rving; I'll have my main laptop receiving a signal from a
> access point via a Wlan 802.11g USB adapter with a antenna; and I would
> like to have the other laptop receive that same signal via my main
> laptop. ( only have one adapter )!
>
> On the same subject; at home, I have a set up with a Apple TV box
> connected to my Tv. The Apple Tv box streams all my movies from my
> computer to the TV via a wireless connection. At home; this all goes
> through my wireless router. Is it possible to do this whilst Rving
> without the wireless router.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Windows has a facility called Internet Connection Sharing. Assuming that
your main laptop has a free Ethernet adapter and your other laptop has
an Ethernet adapter, you could do what you want. You'll need a
cross-over Ethernet cable (*not* a standard cable). See
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/

--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
From: Slaz on
Thanks for your prompt reply.
I know that you can achieve what I want via a Ethernet connection. What
I'm wanting to know is this possible via a wireless setup.

From: John Wunderlich on
Slaz <theslaz(a)test.net> wrote in

> Wanting to know if it is possible to connect two laptops via a
> wireless connection without the use of a wireless router. Reason
> being; is that when I go Rving; I'll have my main laptop receiving
> a signal from a access point via a Wlan 802.11g USB adapter with a
> antenna; and I would like to have the other laptop receive that
> same signal via my main laptop. ( only have one adapter )!
>
> On the same subject; at home, I have a set up with a Apple TV box
> connected to my Tv. The Apple Tv box streams all my movies from my
> computer to the TV via a wireless connection. At home; this all
> goes through my wireless router. Is it possible to do this whilst
> Rving without the wireless router.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Try this article:

"Set up a wireless network without a router"
<http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/setup/adhoc.mspx#2>

HTH,
John

From: Lem on
Slaz wrote:
> Thanks for your prompt reply.
> I know that you can achieve what I want via a Ethernet connection. What
> I'm wanting to know is this possible via a wireless setup.
> Lem wrote:
>> Slaz wrote:
>>> Wanting to know if it is possible to connect two laptops via a
>>> wireless connection without the use of a wireless router. Reason
>>> being; is that when I go Rving; I'll have my main laptop receiving a
>>> signal from a access point via a Wlan 802.11g USB adapter with a
>>> antenna; and I would like to have the other laptop receive that same
>>> signal via my main laptop. ( only have one adapter )!
>>>
>>> On the same subject; at home, I have a set up with a Apple TV box
>>> connected to my Tv. The Apple Tv box streams all my movies from my
>>> computer to the TV via a wireless connection. At home; this all goes
>>> through my wireless router. Is it possible to do this whilst Rving
>>> without the wireless router.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Windows has a facility called Internet Connection Sharing. Assuming that
>> your main laptop has a free Ethernet adapter and your other laptop has
>> an Ethernet adapter, you could do what you want. You'll need a
>> cross-over Ethernet cable (*not* a standard cable). See
>> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/

If you only have *one* wireless adapter, how do you think the other
computer is going to connect to anything unless via Ethernet cable? Or
have I misunderstood you and your second computer actually has a
built-in wireless adapter?

It's actually very simple: your *one* 802.11g wireless adapter can
*only* connect between the wireless access point/router that belongs to
the RV campground and *one* computer. Under this circumstance, the
*only* way for the other computer to connect is to share the Internet
connection of the first one via a wired connection.

The ad hoc network suggested by John Wunderlich is not applicable to
your situation. For one thing, an ad hoc wireless connection between two
computers requires that *each* computer have a wireless adapter. For
another, if the wireless adapter connected to one computer is being used
to make an ad hoc connection to a second computer, it can't *also* be
used to connect to a different wireless network. That is, the "main" or
"host" computer would have to have *two* wireless adapters.

--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago: