From: David on
Here in Aus our ISP's are trying to flogg wireless modems at almost any
unreasonable price. It sounds attractive in that possibly it may work out to
drop the hardwire along with the hardwire phone and just use a wireless
modem for uplift and downloading, though I have absolutely no intention of
using "WiFi' as it is called here for connection to my machines etc, I am
not that stupid as violation of so many setups is common here, usually
without the user being aware of being monitored, etc. Besides I have a cosy
cat 5 setup.
I would very much like some outside input. The prices being quoted here are
about double the cost of ADSL via a hardwire circuit. What is the fault rate
in the real world, what about transmission rates during bad weather,
sunspot, is there generally interference from other ground installions of
various frequencies. Would you regard wireless as dependable as the present
cable conn?.

So maybe I can get you switched on people on the handle and give us all a
burst, if you will.

Regards,
Dave

From: smlunatick on
On Apr 7, 11:13 am, "David" <dtm...(a)bigpond.com> wrote:
> Here in Aus our ISP's are trying to flogg wireless modems at almost any
> unreasonable price. It sounds attractive in that possibly it may work out to
> drop the hardwire along with the hardwire phone and just use a wireless
> modem for uplift and downloading, though I have absolutely no intention of
> using "WiFi' as it is called here for connection to my machines etc, I am
> not that stupid as violation of so many setups is common here, usually
> without the user being aware of being monitored, etc. Besides I have a cosy
> cat 5 setup.
> I would very much like some outside input. The prices being quoted here are
> about double the cost of ADSL via a hardwire circuit. What is the fault rate
> in the real world, what about transmission rates during bad weather,
> sunspot, is there generally interference from other ground installions of
> various frequencies. Would you regard wireless as dependable as the present
> cable conn?.
>
> So maybe I can get you switched on people on the handle and give us all a
> burst, if you will.
>
> Regards,
> Dave

You need to clarify the WiFi stuff. Mostly, WiFi usually means having
a wireless router. Newer ISP offerings are now moving to 3G
"cellphone" type access.
From: Jack [MVP-Networking] on
Hi
In the USA it is popular in places were no wire service is available or when
people are on the road.
Otherwise its Speed it rather slow as compare to most of the Entry level
wire/fiber connections, and the price is rather steep.
My guess would be that this type of solution has to do more with the
geography of Aus. and the cost of installing the infra structure, rather
than being the best cost effective solution everywhere.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

From: Don Phillipson on

"Jack [MVP-Networking]" <jack(a)discussiongroup.com> wrote in message

> In the USA it is popular in places were no wire service is available or
when
> people are on the road.
> Otherwise its Speed it rather slow as compare to most of the Entry level
> wire/fiber connections, and the price is rather steep.
> My guess would be that this type of solution has to do more with the
> geography of Aus. and the cost of installing the infra structure, rather
> than being the best cost effective solution everywhere.

Same here in Canada. The political point is that many
cities and provinces have proclaimed plans to get "broadband
for everyone" by year 20!?, and offered to subsidize the
networks. The ISPs' hardware for second-rate wireless broadband
are much cheaper than for first-class broadband by cable, so you can
guess what we get, albeit (currently) at higher prices for less bandwidth.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs